1000 // 2000 // 3000 // 4000 // 5000 // 6000 // 7000
👯‍♀️Find your Team HERE!

Queens of the Kingdom - Meet Riana, Art Director 🦸🏻‍♀️

QueenMia
QueenMia Posts: 12,979 Community Manager
edited March 2020 in Discussions

🌟 No account yet? Register here in just 2 seconds! 💃

All great Saga needs all sort of Heroes 🦸‍♀️

As part of Women's day (on the 8th of March), Tiffi would like to take the opportunity to celebrate some of our strong and talented women at Candy Crush Friends 💪 This week, we'd like to introduce to @RianaM, Art Director - We sat down with her, asked a dew questions and here is what she's told us.

Sit down, relax, enjoy the read and come back next week for more!

"Hi! I’m Riana McKeith, art director in Candy Crush Friends Saga. I’ve been working in the games industry for over 10 years and before that I worked in animation. I’m from Ireland, lived nearly five years in Berlin before moving in London. 

As an Art Director, I’m responsible for leading the artistic vision of the game, as well as hiring and managing the art team".

1 . What was your dream job as a child?

I always wanted to be an artist, though originally I wanted to work in animation. I loved cartoons and animated films. Growing up in the 80s there was a real revival of animation and I desperately wanted to be a part of it! I would spend hours drawing, creating worlds and characters.

2. What is your favorite game? 

I don’t really have a favourite, there’s so many amazing games out there that I love for different reasons. But some of my recent favourites are ‘Return of the Obra Dinn’, a fascinating mystery game on a ghost ship, ‘Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild’ the incredible open world adventure, and ‘Night in the Woods’ a sweet, original story dealing with mental health.

I love games which surprise and challenge me, that makes me think and allow me to explore new stories and worlds. 

3. What do you like about your position?

I can remember when I realised how lucky I was. Early on a cold, dark Monday morning, I was getting ready to go to work. I had just started in the games industry and it struck me how much I was looking forward to going to work, and how alien that feeling must be for most people. 

Even if my day has been challenging, I never complain because I honestly love my job. I come to the office every day, surrounded by incredible, talented and fun people, creating a game loved by millions around the world – I don’t think it gets much better than that.  

4. What are your challenges as a woman in the gaming industry?

It’s a sad truth that women face challenges in practically every industry, and games is no exception. However, while I can’t speak for all women, I know I’ve been incredibly lucky in my career – my challenges have definitely been minor in comparison to many others I know and I’ve been supported throughout my journey. 

I think there are still some major areas to address. In my case, I’m often the only woman in the meeting room, and there are very few female role models in my craft to be inspired by. You can have the uncomfortable position of feeling responsible for representing all women, in that, you need to be harder working, more talented, more perfect, to be taken as seriously as the men in the office – and if you fail, you’re confirming a stereotype that women just aren’t as good at this then men. It certainly adds extra pressure and I think it’s no surprise that women are more likely to be working late, to suffer from imposter syndrome and stress.

It’s getting better by the day, and even in my 10+ year career I’ve seen the industry change dramatically. 

5. Any advice for the women out there wanting to join a gaming company?

Join us! If you’re interested in creating amazing experiences that brings joy to millions of people, then what are you waiting for? This is an industry is full of amazing people, where you can have an extraordinary impact. As for advice, take the time to do your research, there’s so many different kind of roles, so many different kind of companies – do you want to be a programmer, an artist, a designer? Once you know what you want to do, you can tailor your CV for the role, focus on learning specific skills and reach out to people doing those roles for advice.    

6. Do you have a motto? If yes, want to share it?

You’ll never know what you might achieve if you don’t take a risk and once you take that risk, don’t look back. There’s always so many reasons not to try something, not to apply for the dream job, but I believe you’re a lot less likely to regret trying and failing, then not trying at all. 

7. Who Inspires you and why?

There’s so many! Though if I had to write about just one thing, I’d say I’m incredibly inspired by the art team in Candy Crush Friends Saga. Each and every one of them is an amazing artist, who’s work inspires me every day – I’m humbled to be their art director.

🍭 Well thanks so much for answering our questions, Riana! It's amazing to see your passion and inspiration. You truly are a source of inspiration yourself! 🌟

I you have any questions for her, please ask below!

Happy day everyone 🍒

More women's interview from King here!

We will post personal interviews with some of the Kingdom's Queens every Wednesday during the month of March, so that the Community is filled with their strength, their values and their girl power! Stay tuned!

Comments

• Sofia1992
    Sofia1992 Posts: 2,526 Level 5

Hi @RianaM and from today, let me welcome you to our sweet, amazing community.~

Yes, I understand everything what you said. Working many hours everyday and trying all your best is not easy but since we women have each other, we can achieve alot.

First QueenMia, after Inka and now you. Seriously, all of you are the perfect example how far a woman can go with her strength. A woman like you with determination can achieve everything, no matter where she is now.

~Thank you so much for those words which gave us more and more inspiration for a better future to us the women. Thank you.~

Very very nice interview btw!~ Bravo!~

• RianaM
    RianaM Posts: 5 Kingster

@Sofia1992 thanks so much for your kind words about the interview and for welcoming me to the community! I can't wait to talk to you all about our shared love for this game. If you or anyone else has questions about art, the game or me (!) I'll try my best to give a good answer.

• candycrushinit
    candycrushinit Posts: 12,600 Level 5

It is very nice to meet you @RianaM and welcome to our sweet community 😁

My friend @Sofia1992 and I love to crush and we're huge fans of your amazing artwork. You and your team did a great job designing the game and those amazing wallpapers too. I have Misty Carnival wallpaper on my phone and I love it! Oh, would it be nice to design a wallpaper with my favorite character Nutcracker along with Tiffi together at the Bonbon Beach watching the beautiful sunset. That'll be my idea for the next wallpaper. I hope everyone will love it 😃

Keep working hard and I'm sure you and your team will take more risks to achieve something unbelievable. May the girl power be with you 💪👸

• Sofia1992

You are welcome @RianaM .

It's my big honor of meeting another special member of CCFS crew.

Btw, is it really true that you are the one who create all those amazing wallpapers of this game?

Oh my...I totally love them so much and I really really love all the artwork of this game alot too.

And I have and some questions for you:

First of all, what kind of steps you are following so to create the art of this game?

And also, in which part of the art on CCFS you are working mostly? Are you working on backgrounds only, on characters only or in both?

~I can't wait to hear your replies!~

• Sofia1992

Oh and sorry for double post but yep...

I will totally agree with my awesome buddy @candycrushinit . We both love all those amazing wallpapers.

And, I really loved Misty Carnival Wallpaper and Jelly Queen wallpaper too.

Seriously, you and your team have an awesome ability and very special talent to create all this artwork and those wallpapers. Me and my awesome friend @candycrushinit love them as much as we both love this game.

And yes, @candycrushinit , I love your amazing idea for the next wallpaper. Since we both love Nutcracker, yes, that would be oh so great!~ Bravo for the idea!~

Oh ,and I have an idea too. Since me and @candycrushinit love Nutcracker's special costume King Of Hearts alot, then how about to make a full color artwork with him and his that special valentine costume? Sorry but I'd like to see different poses of my beloved Nutcracker with his special Valentine Costume. I just love it!!!~

~Well, you and your great team keep up the good job. Remember, that you are so great of reacting in that position @RianaM and keep up the good job.~

Thank you!~

• firebombmarkus
    firebombmarkus Posts: 13,110 Sweet Legend

Hi @RianaM and welcome to our adorable Community 😊 The moment I saw your name I already like you. I love love love Rihanna and I knew you are a strong woman like her 💕 We don't get names by accident 😉 Thank you for sharing the joy of working on this game and struggles you are dealing with. Thank you for encouraging women to join gaming companies. And thank you for making this sweet game even sweeter. Sending you love and hugs ❤️🤗

• KingChewy
    KingChewy Posts: 13,713 Sweet Legend

@RianaM - welcome to our friendly community!! So glad @QueenMia invited you to join and share your passion. I love the fact you mentioned Ireland in your bio! Women & Irish ☘️ 2/3 of what makes the world go round!!

Thank you for all you do and all the joy you’ve brought to millions with your artistry 🙏🏻

☘️🍩

• Crimson_Dawn
    Crimson_Dawn Posts: 2,741 Level 5

@RianaM, I absolutely LOVED reading your story!❤️❤️❤️

• RianaM

@candycrushinit I'm so glad you like the wallpapers! These days I'm mostly providing feedback, guidance and direction so I don't get to do as much hands on artwork. So getting to create the wallpapers from the amazing artwork done by my team (and a little from me) is such a nice thing to do. Glad you like them! Plus that's a great idea for a Nutcracker wallpaper - I'll put it into my list and hopefully will be able to find time to do it!

• RianaM
    edited March 2020

Ha! I remember when I first heard Rihanna on the radio, I kept on thinking - did I win something in a competition?! It's quite a rare name, even in Ireland, so it was strange to hear it everywhere! And thank you for your kind words @firebombmarkus

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?