Will All Stars be fair to all players?

Options
christinewupp
christinewupp Posts: 6,914 Legend
edited March 25 in All Stars

This is a question many will be asking once the tournament starts. There will be questions if certain players are at an advantage depending on their level range or which events they have.

So assuming every player sticks to the Terms and Conditions and does not use any cheating as set out here:

4.6.1. Using or taking advantage of any exploit or vulnerability in CCS which is not expressly authorized by us, or would reasonably be considered to not have been intended by us (in each case, whether accomplished using hardware, software, a combination thereof, or otherwise);

and here:

4.6.8. Taking any action or engaging with the Tournament in a manner that would be reasonably considered against the spirit of fair play.

Will these added rules mean the tournament will be fair to all players?

Comments

• christinewupp
    edited March 25
    Options

So my own take on it is this:

Any good player who really tries hard enough should be able to get into the final knockout stage 1 starting on April 20th. That is what King want because more players competing, more will spend money to beat each other.

After that you need to crush hard and long and fast to stay in the race. The question is, are we all on the same playing field to get past that first final knockout round?

Level range:

I find that the level ranges from level 1 through to 6000 give roughly the same amount of purple candy for me, using my best playing strategy. Earlier levels are easier, yes, but you won't have as much gold yet from episode races to spend on boosters, so in the later ranges you can use more boosters if you saved your gold and boosters wisely. I find I can crush about 85 purple candies per minute at all these ranges. But not at levels higher than 15,000. The best I can crush here with lots of boosters is 63 purple/minute. There are no cascades, too many colours and too many skulls, keys and orders to unblock the board making these levels much slower to play. I don't know about level above 6000, but my guess is from the late 9000 range players are maybe indeed at a disadvantage?

Ads:

As it's all about speed of crushing I can't see having ads in your game helping at all. They take too long to watch. You will have to save up gold and boosters before April 20th.

Win streak:

I think this is the biggest issue. There is a top win streak that will start with two colour bombs. Play the pre level one as well and you will have three colour bombs on your starting board, increasing your chances of making a two colour bomb combo. This one below with the three x2 on the bottom right.

But other players get this win streak, with only two colour bombs.

It has only the two x2 on the bottom right, those are for wrap and stripe. This does certainly put us at a disadvantage!

So why are there two different types of win streak and does this mean King will be able to control who will win All Stars by the way they allocate the win streak? I find this grossly unfair and would hope that each player will get the same win streak when All Stars starts.

• Pyrolight
    Pyrolight Posts: 884 Level 3
    Options

As bad as that could be, there is also game speed. Even beyond the speedup you can get at 500, depending on device, the game will play slightly faster or slower. Also closing screens and such will be faster or slower. Over the course of a competition it could add up to be quite a bit.

• Pyrolight
    Options

Moderation queue can... can just go away... I just have no idea what triggered it on edit.

Anyway time to add another angle. Game speed. Beyond the boost at 500 different devices will play the game at slightly different speeds. Also loading and such will be different. While each instance will be small it could really add up, especially if your levels run a little slower than someone else.

• Pyrolight
    Options

Anyway time to add another angle. Game speed. Beyond the boost at 500 different devices will play the game at slightly different speeds. Also loading and such will be different. While each instance will be small it could really add up, especially if your levels run a little slower than someone else.

• christinewupp
    Options

Yes, you are absolutely right and I've thought about the connection issues as well. To really be able to compete you need to have a newish device (my iPhone6 is just too slow) and fast broadband or maybe 4G will do. I was travelling yesterday and Candy Crush would not function with 3G at all. Anyone with no stable internet will struggle to compete, and that, too, is unfair.

• Alienscar
    Alienscar Posts: 14,852 Legend
    Options

Anyone with no stable internet will struggle to compete, and that, too, is unfair

Not forgetting @christinewupp that you can play offline until you have an internet connection.

• Alienscar
    Options

Will All Stars be fair to all players?

Regardless of people exploiting vulnerabilities in the game people will still complain about the game being unfair. A lot of people think that playing at levels beyond level 6000 means that players below them have an unfair advantage.

Also there's the 'unfairness' caused by people that pay to play.

• christinewupp
    Options

Yes, true, in theory you can gather enough boosters to start and then play offline, and of course a lot of crafty players will do just that! (And overtake to catch you up from behind at the last minute) But any regular players who depend on the gold from winning the episode races to keep going will need to log in between episodes. I have tried playing fast and passing levels just with boosters, but the faster I play the more likely I make a mistake due to lack of attention and then I get the dreaded "level failed" screen. You need internet to pay your gold to keep your win streak. So in practice I think most regular players trying to compete into the later rounds will need to stay connected. Blunders will be made due to inattention, especially if you get tired due to lack of sleep.

• Alienscar
    Options

All very true @christinewupp but no one playing for 24 hours non-stop will be playing away from home. I think the qualifying rounds are well suited to playing offline as evidenced by all the complaints here last year about players appearing from nowhere at the top of the leaderboard.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?