An analysis about the "April Fools 2020" rotating maps and episodes released around April Fools 2020

__MULLIGANACEOUS__
__MULLIGANACEOUS__ Posts: 163 Level 3
edited August 2021 in Discussions

I am currently writing an essay regarding the development of episode names and how they shape the eras of Candy Crush. I am looking for a story from another developer or player who witnessed the trends of designing the new episodes. I have two questions to ask, especially regarding the timeline of the rotating maps.

Last year's April Fool's Day was notorious due to the repeating episode names. That has been met with universal complaint especially during the pandemic, though the staff said it is here to save memory. Episodes became impersonal and bland, and Candy Crush Saga no longer felt like a saga. Besides the trivial initial two levels, there are only two exceptions to the rule, namely Creator's Crib (E468 with L7000) and very recently, Milestone Meadow (E668 with L10000).

I can also note that the last episodes with "unique" names and themes are really directly derived from previous episodes in order, namely that they use the same story 384 episodes before. The first episode to be part of the series was "Marshmallow Mansion", Episode 421, which is an exact replica of "Biscuit Bungalow", Episode 37. Holiday episodes no longer correspond to holidays, and even champion titles are based off the theme of the reused episode. Previous exact replicas were also found with Polkapalooza E362, also with the champion titles matching the theme.

The last episode in the reused episode series was E487, namely Sprinkle Steppes, soft-released on 24 June 2020 and maybe leaked before E468 was renamed from "Choco City" to "Creator's Crib". I bet one can "avoid" the rotating episode names by switching to an old version of the game just before the version where episode backgrounds were removed from the file. Anyone have a E488 or E468 that is "Choco City", and E467 as "Sprinkle Steppes"?

I wonder when is the first date the repeating episode names are being rolled out, and when the rotating episodes are live to all players?

Comments

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?