• shancortes
    shancortes Posts: 1 Newbie
    2+20×5=102 multiple first then add
  • mysticalmysty
    mysticalmysty Posts: 30,398 Crushing Legend
  • mercerik
    mercerik Posts: 3,617 Legend
    edited October 2019

2 (Chocolate Value) + 20 (Chocolate Spawner Value) x 5 (Popcorn Value) = 110 (Total)  

Hi @Elsa

Are we following the PEMDAS (Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally) or the Order Of Operation (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction)? If we are, the answer will be different.

Using PEMDAS

20 (Chocolate Spawner Value) x 5 (Popcorn Value) + 2 (Chocolate Value) = 102 (Total)

Please let us know!

Thanks!

• Glenn1972
    Glenn1972 Posts: 16,650 Pro Player 👑
    edited November 2019
    I was not happy with my first answer. Correction shown below !!!!

= 102

In mathematics and computer programming, the order of operations (or operator precedence) is a collection of rules that reflect conventions about which procedures to perform first in order to evaluate a given mathematical expression.

For example, in mathematics and most computer languages, multiplication is granted a higher precedence than addition, and it has been this way since the introduction of modern algebraic notation.[1][2] Thus, the expression 2 + 3 × 4 is interpreted to have the value 2 + (3 × 4) = 14, not (2 + 3) × 4 = 20. With the introduction of exponents in the 16th and 17th centuries, they were given precedence over both addition and multiplication and could be placed only as a superscript to the right of their base.[1] Thus 3 + 52 = 28 and 3 × 52 = 75.

• threestarsmust
    threestarsmust Posts: 8 Level 2

Pretty neat. Love math. 

• _Elsa_
    _Elsa_ Posts: 36,682 Sweet Legend
    Are all of you enjoying these practice tests?  Have you seen the Saga community contest area yet?  I'll go get you the link now.  It is located in the Discussions area here.   If you play other King games then I will give you the link to all the games and you can just click on your game(s) to see if there is a contest going on.  The entire group is here.  As a participant you always have a chance of winning some free gold bars for your game.  Keep in mind though that you should be playing the game where you enter the contest because the gold bars will only be given to that game.
  • mikerob
    mikerob Posts: 2 Newbie
    Elsa said:

No account yet? Sign up right here to participate! 

This is not a contest.  It’s just some fun time to get you used to the contests that we have in the community. 
    Below you will find a different type of match challenge.   Do the math with our Saga blockers to determine what the answer will be.

You can practice doing the spoiler on this challenge.  Follow the arrow to use the spoiler. 

**update**

The correct answer to this is 110.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?