πŸ”₯ Super Hot Right Now! 🌢
πŸ† Claim your level milestone level badges level milestone badges:
1000 // 2000 // 3000 // 4000 // 5000

Queens of the Kingdom πŸ¦Έβ€β™€οΈ

QueenB
QueenB Posts: 13,660 Community Manager

Every great Saga needs all sorts of Heroes!

As part of the Women's Day, we would like to take this opportunity to celebrate one of talented Level Designer at Farm HeroesΒ SuperΒ Saga...Β Silvia AKA @HunterDog

So take a sit and enjoy a good read πŸ€“

What was your dream job as a child?

I don’t think I ever had one haha or maybe I just had too many. Honestly, when I went to uni I wasn’t really pursuing a career. It wasn’t until I joined King and realized that Level Design was actually a job that I decided that was my dream.Β 

What do you like about being a Level Designer?

It’s always fun! And it’s not just about having fun yourself but specially about creating fun for lots of people around the world. I also enjoy having the opportunity of working together with other disciplines: game design, UX, data science… so I can have a bigger picture of what players enjoy and design better experiences for them.

Β 

What are you challenges as women in the gaming industry?

In my opinion, and this might be very personal, women are sometimes expected to behave differently both at work and outside, especially when it comes to expressing ideas and opinions and moving things forward… and I think it’s a challenge for all of us to modify our expectations so that we are not gender biased.

Β 

Any advice for the women out there wanting to join a gaming company?

Don’t give up! Sometimes it can be hard but it’s a great industry to work on and the effort pays off.Β 

More specifically for level designers I would recommend you to try as many free editors as possible and build a good and diverse portfolio that you can share with companies. Being passionate and proactive will definitely help you getting a job.Β 

Do you have a motto? If yes, want to share it?

Haha I don’t really have one, but if I did it would be something like: whatever you do, try to be as happy as possible 😊 

Who Inspires you and why?

Many people actually. Smart people, people with original ideas, persistent and resilient people, people who take care of others, and a long etcetera. There’s always a lot you can learn from everybody.Β 

Is there a better way to do it than giving them the mic?

We will postΒ personal interviewsΒ with some of the Kingdom's QueensΒ every WednesdayΒ during the month of March, so that the Community is filled with their strength, their values and their girl power! Stay tuned on theΒ HubΒ for more!

Comments

• firebombmarkus
    firebombmarkus Posts: 13,110 Sweet Legend

Hi @HunterDog and welcome to our adorable Community 😊 It's a pleasure to meet you here. Thank you for telling us more about your life and your role. I like the way you are inspired by everyone. That's so true! You can learn from everyone and be inspired by anyone. Sending you love and hugs β€οΈπŸ€—

• _Elsa_
    _Elsa_ Posts: 36,683 Sweet Legend

Welcome @HunterDog to our community! Did you have to get a specific type of training/education for what you do?

• HunterDog
    HunterDog Posts: 2 Newbie

Hi @Elsa !

Actually I didn't. I studied Philosophy and Psychology, but most of the training I got for Level Design was internal at King. If I was 18 again though I would definitely study Game Design straight away :)

• _Elsa_

Thanks for responding @HunterDog. My background is also in Psychology but, as you say, if I were younger I'd definitely do the gaming route. Unfortunately where I live in the USA they don't even offer college courses for that type of work. Do they offer game design in the colleges by you?

• HunterDog
    HunterDog Posts: 2 Newbie

There are now, however I don't think there were many by that time.

I think there's still a lot you can do now anyways.

There are some nice courses in game design in online platforms such as Coursera or edX that you can even get for free.

There are also games that offer editors that you could try; Super Mario Maker, Portal 2 (free), and many more that you can find browsing.

As a psychologist you could also try following the path of Psychology of Games (great podcast and articles here: https://www.psychologyofgames.com/) and UX design.

As far as I know there are companies that could offer you jobs as a junior or internships even if you don't necessarily have the background or education.

If you believe this could be your passion, don't give up!

Best wishes :)

• _Elsa_

Thanks for the information. I'm 72 years old and yes I could live for another 20 years but will my memory make it that long? I am going to check out some online classes. I have a 14 year old grandson and I'm encouraging him to head into the computer field. We talked about him creating game apps or becoming a game tester. I told him to stay away from Computer Science Networking and Security.

When I was in college one of my research projects got published. So last year I wanted to do research again and I contacted my old professor and he said when the spring semester was over he would have more time. I wrote him but he never got back to me. I had done the introduction into online gaming addiction because the DSM is now recognizing it but not as a separate category yet. Thanks for the link and I will definitely look into it. I also bought a couple of new graphic software programs but I am having difficulty trying to follow the videos online. I have to get back to that too.

I truly love your advice of not giving up so this weekend I am going to look into doing different things. Today's plan is to create a new story with Rancid. I've written over 20 character stories now and this is another passion of mine. I wrote a story about Dairy District a year ago and how Rancid was such a pain and Amelia wouldn't let him take all the cropsies so he contacted his best friend Jelly Queen and he went to Cotton Candy Clouds to help her jellify everything.

I hope that you keep in contact with us. I am trying hard to get the Farm Heroes Super Saga community more active but there isn't enough traffic in this area yet.

• _Elsa_

Hi @HunterDog I am rereading your message right now and I am checking out your suggestions. I just opened the Portal 2 website and it looks interesting. I have to check that out further!

I'm not sure if you have any spare time but I finished my new story Rancid proposes to Rachel and uploaded it to the community. If you have time, please read it. I'd love your feedback on this since I am using our Farm Heroes villain.

I have one more question for you. Is there a reason why Rancid is purple in Farm Heroes Super Saga vs him being the typical black in Farm Heroes Saga? It throws me when I am doing different things because I don't expect to see him as a purple racoon.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?