๐Ÿ”ฅ Super Hot Right Now! ๐ŸŒถ
๐Ÿ† Claim your level milestone level badges level milestone badges:
1000 // 2000 // 3000 // 4000 // 5000 // 6000
Celebrate Pride Season with Farm Heroes Saga! ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐ŸŒพ๐Ÿง‘โ€๐ŸŒพ
๐Ÿ…๐ŸŒˆ Pride Season thread - claim your badge!
๐Ÿ†๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ Win Superfruits in FHS in this contest!

๐Ÿฅ˜๐Ÿฅ—๐Ÿฅญ An Intro to Indian Cuisine ๐Ÿฅญ๐Ÿฅ—๐Ÿฅ˜

Options
PummyRaj
PummyRaj Posts: 35,320 Candy Moderator
edited January 2023 in Discussions

Hello, Super Farmers!

Many of you are aware that I am an Indian and living in America.

Just for a change, we thought of introducing you to Indian Cuisine, spices, Herbs, and a few Indian dishes/recipes. We will also discuss the cuisine all around the world / or the part of the country you are fromย ๐Ÿ’œ

Grains:ย 

In India, Rice and Wheat are the most commonly/daily used grain for the important meals of the day - Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. North Indians use Wheat the most, and South Indians depend on Rice.

** Do you know that there are many, many rice variety dishes we make often?

And I can easily name at least 30 dishes that can be prepared using just vegetables and spices - we can enjoy a new dish each day of the month!

Spices:

Indians use many herbs and spices in their cooking. We do not use a single spice without cooking๐Ÿ˜‹ย I did not do much research on this, but I believe that heating certain spices at certain temperatures enhances the taste and flavor of our dishes.

** Do you know that we have an "order" to add spices to our dishes?

Yes! That is correctย ๐Ÿ˜ƒย If it is a spicy dish like Curry or stew, or chutney, we add Turmeric powder first, then Salt, and when the dish is entirely or mostly cooked, then we add Red Chilly powder or "Masala" powder.ย 

I have experimented with this, and believe me... if you add Chilly powder when you start cooking the dish, it does not taste good, and the dish will not be adequately cooked either. Adding Salt at the beginning stage brings out the water from the vegetable we are cooking and helps the dish to cook correctly.

Indian cooking consists of many spices and herbs.

There are spices that are limited only to India, and there are spices that are used in other countries as well. For example, I found that Mustard seeds are usedย for cooking only in India and not in other countries. Also, Saffron is a unique spice that we use while making certain specific desserts.

Some of the spices we use๐ŸŒถ

Turmeric, Red Chilly powder, Cumin seeds/powder, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves, Star Anise, dried Fenugreek leaves, Dried and fresh Curry leaves, various varieties of Chilly peppers, Black Pepper seeds, Coriander seeds/powder, Bay leaves, and many many many more!

ย Some of these spices are used in other countries as well ๐Ÿฅฅ

For example, Star Anise is used in Chinese cuisine; Cumin Seeds, Cardamom are used in Middle Eastern cooking; Cinnamon, Black Pepper, and Bay leaves are used by Americans too!

Super Farmers,ย 

Do you know any other facts about Indian cooking or your own cuisine? Please share your thoughts and facts you are aware of ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿฅ˜๐Ÿง…

ยซ13

Comments

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?