๐Ÿ Claim your level milestone badges:
1000 // 2000 // 3000 // 4000 // 5000 // 6000

Send Your Friends FLOWERS ๐ŸŒธ

Options

Comments

• Racoon7
    Racoon7 Posts: 17,246 Pro Player 👑
    Options

I too suffer hay fever, mine is predominately tree pollen.

Here is a excerpt of something you or other readers might find useful ๐Ÿค—

Can people with hay fever have flowers?

Yes! Itโ€™s just about reducing the chance of the blooms setting it off. As you definitely know if youโ€™re a sufferer, hay fever is a pollen allergy, so itโ€™s about steering clear of flowers and plants that release lots of pollen. Trees and grasses tend to make hay fever worse because their pollen spreads through the air rather than being spread by insects. When choosing flowers you want to avoid types that feature lots of pollen, or ones that have an especially large flower head, because that could also equal extra pollen.

Can people with hay fever have house plants?

Itโ€™s another yes, and another reminder that itโ€™s all about avoiding pollen. If you really struggle with hay fever avoid indoor plants that flower (flowers = pollen) and opt for leafier kinds instead โ€“ palms are especially good for allergy sufferers and can even filter out some of the chemicals that can make a pollen allergy worse.

6 hay fever friendly flowers

Antirrhinum (Snapdragons)

Antirrhinum (snapdragons) are a traditional favourite and safe choice for hay fever sufferers as the tightly closed buds minimise the release of pollen. Said to portray the meaning of โ€˜gracious ladyโ€™, these blooms provide nectar for bumble bees who are one of the few insects that are able to โ€˜openโ€™ the flower. Antirrhinums will add height to any design โ€“ arrange them with round-headed summer blooms to create a gorgeous display for your mantelpiece.

Peony

Youโ€™ll be pleased to know that the large, luxurious taffeta-like flower heads of the peony will give you the joys of the season without setting off the sneezes! The popular summer bloom is a reliable choice as it is pollinated by insects rather than the wind.ย Peoniesย are said to represent bashfulness and is loved so much by the Chinese city of Luoyang, that they hold an annual peony festival every April โ€“ which sounds like our kind of festival!

Roses

The national flower of England and the worldโ€™s favourite bloom! This classic beauty can be enjoyed by all asย rosesย only release small amounts of pollen into the air. With a huge range of colours and varieties, this symbol of love is the perfect choice to send to hay fever sufferers. Top tip โ€“ opt for the tight budded varieties to further minimise pollen exposure.

Gladiolus

Another safe choice this season is gladioli. They originate from South Africa and are said to symbolise generosity. This bloomโ€™s pollen is thick and sticky, meaning they are commonly pollinated by bees, rather than the wind. The tall stems come in a wide range of beautiful colours and will certainly brighten any home or garden.

Astrantia

A pretty, delicate star-shaped flower that will add texture to any bouquet, making it a very popular choice for spring andย summer weddings. Astrantia was first cultivated in Britain in the 16th century and became a cottage garden favourite, which can also be found growing in the wild. The great news is they rate low on the allergy scale, so thereโ€™s no need to be afraid of that hay fever headache!

Hydrangea

These stunning blooms are also insect pollinated, making them another safe option this summer.ย Hydrangeasย come in shades of blue, pink and white and are said to carry the meaning, โ€˜thank you for understandingโ€™. Did you know, their dried leaves are used to make a sweet tea called Ama-cha in Japan, which is prepared each year to celebrate Buddhaโ€™s birthday!

The worst flowers for hay fever

There are some blooms that should definitely be steered clear of if youโ€™re prone to pollen allergies. Keep away from:

• Sunflowers โ€“ their giant heads equal lot of pollen
    • Gerberas โ€“ serious pollen producers
    • Lilies - known to release a lot of pollen. Though you can have the pollen removed from the bulb.
    • Dahlias โ€“ another one that packs a pollen punch but interestingly they have bred hybrid dahlias with (virtually) pollen free flowers. All of the fluffy petals, none of the stuffy nose.

• Racoon7
    Options

Dear Christine @CassD I didn't know, I will keep you close in my thoughts and prayers, I hope all goes well and everything is OK ๐Ÿ’œ Is this something brought on by the long covid you have suffered?

• Racoon7
    Options

Thank you Jess for your kind wishes, Happy Birthday my lovely, I hope it has been special ๐Ÿ’œ

• Princess_Jessica
    Princess_Jessica Posts: 8,472 Jelly Moderator
    edited September 2023
    Options

Thank you ๐Ÿ˜˜ actually it hasn't been to good I got up to go to work I wasn't feeling good at all but I went anyways as the day went on I got worse come to find out I had contracted this new COVID strain and the symptoms this time seems so far to be the worse by the time I got home I am now actually so sick I can't hardly hold my head up ๐Ÿ˜ž

• Racoon7
    Options

OMG!

๐Ÿ˜ฅ ๐Ÿ’œ

• CassD
    CassD Posts: 18,516 Level 5
    Options

Get well soon, Jess! My best friend here has just tested positive and is feeling as you do.

• CassD
    CassD Posts: 18,516 Level 5
    edited September 2023
    Options

Thank you, Traci ๐Ÿ’œ My lung problem dates back a while, but I think it was exacerbated by the long Covid and the virus I contracted last December and couldn't shake off. I'm praying that the bronchoscopy will reveal the cause of the inflammation, so that I can be given the right drugs either to maintain my lung function or to deal with the inflammation in some other way.

You are in my thoughts and prayers too ๐Ÿ’œ

• Racoon7
    Options

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?