Two new players have come my way (due to the flashing graphics feature, which made me delete the app on two devices, and then redownload the app to play a new non-flashing account).
One started last Sunday, the other Monday morning.
Both played up to level 99.
Let's play Spot the Difference!
Check out these weekly contests:
Same players, different graphics…..how exciting! Not sure what they are testing here… but well.
iPhone had two spins on the booster wheel this morning, iPad had three spins this morning. These are the winnings:
These are the chocolate boxes right now (They started yesterday for me when I reached the required level, but I've been set back to the bronze box on both of them today)
But here comes the main difference:
iPad has the old system of additional moves.
iPhone has the 🤬Wheel!
This puts me in a nice position to run a test just on what test it is that King are running with this Wheel? And of course the old question I've been trying to crack: Are the basic level algorithms the same for all players? What determines level difficulty? How does the app achieve the required outcome?
The easy levels I ignore. Basically if you play the suggested moves you will pass these.
I decided to play the skull levels methodically, so I follow the suggested moves, which follow specific and easy principles of play and are probably the method King use to test out level difficulty. The hinted moves will give the best opportunities to pass in these early levels because these are essentially "training" levels.
First attempt at Hard level 98:
Spot the difference:
(If you didn't spot it because the image is too dark: both players had two frostings left)
Second attempt :
iphone: 3 blockers left to clear, the Wheel offer: +35 moves + UFO
ipad: 3 blockers left to clear, normal offer: +15 moves
To all intents and purposes these offers are identical, since both will lead to a pass. So all this is really testing is the psychology. Will a more obvious, more generous offer make us more likely to pay?
Third attempt:
iPhone: 1 blocker left if you are stupid, or pass if you see the obvious winning move (I pretended to be stupid) Wheel offer: +20 moves +UFO
iPad: 11 blockers left, offer: +25 moves +UFO
Fourth attempt, again following the hinted moves up to the point when there are 4 moves left to play:
Spot the difference?
Answer: iPad had to play one (not hinted) move to pass
iPhone had to play two (not hinted) moves to pass,
Onwards we go and test out the skull levels up to 200.