Sometime in the 6000s, I stumbled upon a very obscure feature: for every 10 or so attempts on a level, you will start with 1 additional move. I think I first noticed it on a Nightmare level, but I didn't think much of it at the time.
However, when I got stuck on level 6471 (a de facto impossible level erroneously rated Super Hard), I was able to test this starting move incrementing more.
These extra starting moves stack, so attempts 11-20 will have +1 move, attempts 21-30 will have +2 moves, attempts 31-40 will have +3 moves, etc. These attempt ranges are all approximate, and I didn't test beyond 31-40 because I was able to watch ads to pass the level and get the Express Delivery train that gave timed party poppers.
Both times I noticed this starting move incrementing, I was not dealing with the Wheel of Misfortune. I had the normal extra moves scaling (+5, +15, +25 with UFO, +35, +45 with UFO, etc).
Today, I encountered level 6681, a mathematically impossible level rated Legendary. This time, I had a slightly improved version of the Wheel of Misfortune. However, when I sank about 16 attempts into the level, I noticed that the starting move count never increased. I will test this more tomorrow, but I think that the Wheel of Misfortune test also removed attempt-based starting move increments. I haven't brought this up in the Wheel of Misfortune thread because I believe it needs more research.
Has anyone noticed this kind of phenomenon? Is this the case specifically for Legendary levels, or is this the case for the Wheel of Misfortune test?