Farm is celebrating 10 years! πŸ‘©β€πŸŒΎπŸ§‘β€πŸŒΎ
πŸŽ‰πŸšœ Get all the info HERE

Amelia is Celebrating Women's Day πŸ¦ΈπŸ»β€β™€οΈ

QueenB
QueenB Posts: 13,660 Community Manager
edited March 2020 in Discussions

πŸ‘‰Β No account yet? Sign upΒ hereΒ in 2 seconds!πŸ‘ˆ

Every great Saga needs all sorts of Heroes!

As part of the Women's Day, Amelia would like to take this opportunity to celebrate one of talented leader at Farm... Sabrina AKA @FarmBrina πŸ¦ΈπŸ»β€β™€οΈ

We sat with her and asked a few questions, so sit back and get ready for some girl power πŸ’ͺ

Say hi to the players and let introduce yourself.

Hi everyone, my name isΒ SabrinaΒ and I am the Head of Farm Heroes Saga, at King in London. I am originally from Brazil where I started as the second woman in the country to ever work with videogames, and have lived in over 6 countries so far. I have been working with Production and Games for 10 years now and I have developed everything from mobile to Facebook to console!

What was your dream job as a child?

I always dreamt of being an astronaut. I love traveling and I figured the sky shouldΒ Β be the limit.

What do you like about your job and about working at King?

The most important thing for me is the possibility of being yourself. Throughout my career, it has not been easy to be a woman in gaming, let alone in leadership. King is a place that allows me not only to be myself (that should be the norm) but also to succeedΒ Β of myself. As for my role, being Head of Farm Heroes Saga allows me to have full accountability for our game and our team, and I get involved in a series of different topics and challenges. That excited me loads!

What are you challenges women face in the gaming industry?

I think all the challenges that any women suffers anywhere come as a baggage to the industry, unfortunately. The struggles of being heard, taken seriously and being rewarded for your efforts are sometimes overlooked. The important thing is to keep focused on what you want and not to give up.

Any advice for the women out there wanting to join a gaming company?

DO IT! ABSOLUTELY! There is room for everyone, all you need to do is believe in yourself, be resilient and find a community that supports you. Share struggles, ideas and speak up. Do speak up – if it happens to you, it happens to others.

Do you have a motto? If yes, want to share it?

Yeah: in order to make the best decision possible, you need as much diversity possible. My job is to usually make decisions on things, so in order to do my best, I need support from different people, to allow me to have as much information as possible and to look from as many angles as possible.

Who inspires you and why?

My team does. I have about 50 people working in my team and they come from all sorts of backgrounds, experiences, places. They all have different interests, routines and aptitudes. And they all work together, they all keep trying to improve the team together. I get my energy from them, and I get inspired to push myself more to be the best leader they can have.

Is there a better way to do it than giving them the mic?

We will postΒ personal interviewsΒ with some of the Kingdom's QueensΒ every WednesdayΒ during the month of March, so that the Community is filled with their strength, their values and their girl power! Stay tuned on the Hub for more!

Β«1

Comments

• KingChewy
    KingChewy Posts: 13,713 Sweet Legend

This is so awesome @QueenB & @FarmBrina πŸ’ͺ🏻

Thank you for all you do to pave the wave for the amazing women in this community!!

🚜 🍩

• PummyRaj
    PummyRaj Posts: 32,351 Candy Moderator

That's an awesome Interview Sabrina @FarmBrina πŸ€—

So happy to read all that interesting info! Head of all the Farm Team, that's wonderful πŸ‘ πŸ‘

I have few questions, if you have some time in your hands!

1) Is King company is the one that you got your first job?

2) How did you start your work at King? Did you work as level designer, etc., positions first to reach where you are now?

3) Other than London, what were the 6 countries that you have lived?

4) Out of all the platforms/devices, which one is your favorite? I like to play on PC the most, but there are many special events and extra features on Mobile to gain extra boosters and Magic Beans also "No Roadblocks" πŸ˜„

Very Sorry if I went overboard or crossed the edge! Thank you for your time to answer our wonderful QueenB's questions πŸ™

Dear @QueenB Thank you for posting Sabrina's interview for us. It was very sweet of you to bringing some of the Farm Kingsters to us 😍

• Lady_Choo
    Lady_Choo Posts: 24,265 Pet Rescue Moderator

That is super cool @FarmBrina congratulations on being so successful especially when there were not so many women around in the beginning!

• _Elsa_
    _Elsa_ Posts: 36,682 Sweet Legend

Thanks for tagging me @PummyRaj. Welcome to our community @FarmBrina! Thanks for sharing all that you posted with us. If I was 40 years younger I would definitely become a woman in the gaming industry. But in my 70s it's too late to start a new career. I wonder why, even today, women are just not recognized as equals. Those men with their super egos better move to the side because here come the women!

• wafercookieflippers
    wafercookieflippers Posts: 4,637 Legend
    edited March 2020

@FarmBrina

hi Sabrina! Thank you for sharing your experience and your wise words with us. I had forgotten how many hours I sat in front of my PC playing Lara Croft until I read your interview. She was so unique at the time. Not only was she a female game hero, but she was one that appealed across age and gender lines. I have played "uncharted" on PS3 and many times I think..."well Lara would have done this level better..." It is good to be reminded of the positive ways video games have influenced us.

(I also wanted to be an astrophysicist/astronaut too, but I digress. I'm sorry.)

Here in the United States, there is now a very strong effort to get school-age girls interested in what we call STEM or "science technology engineering math." I know I did not have that push growing up. Quite the opposite. How was it for you? And have you seen a shift in the the areas where you live or where you are from in getting young girls to become interested in STEM as a career path?

I agree with you that diversity only makes us better. I hope that we will soon be seeing a whole new group of women from all different backgrounds enter into these fields because they have the opportunities early on.

Can you think of a good opportunity that you had at the beginning of your career that really helped you?

Thanks so much for your time, your dedication, and your philosophy of inclusion for women and all people of all backgrounds. This was wonderful.

β™₯️🐳

Thank you for posting the interview @QueenB and thanks for the tag @PummyRaj !

• stan1981
    stan1981 Posts: 3,418 Legend

Nice interview n Happy Women Day

• BQN537
    BQN537 Posts: 25,065 Pro Player 👑

Hi @FarmBrina

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

I grew up before computers and video games were even used in the workforce but in saying that I truly admire any women that goes on to fulfill her lifelong ambitions and more power to you.

Thanks for tagging me @PummyRaj 🐨🐬

• FarmBrina
    FarmBrina Posts: 2 Kingster

Hello! I can absolutely answer some of these questions:

1) Is King company is the one that you got your first job?Β 

Nope, my first job in the industry was back in Sao Paulo, Brazil where I am from. It was at a startup and we did Facebook games.

2) How did you start your work at King? Did you work as level designer, etc., positions first to reach where you are now?

I actually started as a Producer, but that is because when I joined King I already worked in Production for 6 years, I even had my own studio back in Sao Paulo!

3) Other than London, what were the 6 countries that you have lived?

I have lived in Brazil, Mexico, Chile, Germany, Sweden and now the UK.

4) Out of all the platforms/devices, which one is your favorite? I like to play on PC the most, but there are many special events and extra features on Mobile to gain extra boosters and Magic Beans also "No Roadblocks"

I play loads of mobile games, for obvious reasons. However, I do spend quite some time on my PS4 unwinding.

• FarmBrina
    FarmBrina Posts: 2 Kingster

I have seen quite a shift, yes, however I was lucky enough to have parents and friends that motivated me to follow the game industry path.

I actually got my first job in the industry because while I was doing my Master's Degree, I created a scientific research group dedicated to research gaming (since there wasn't any) and I kept posting my papers and researches online. An investor saw it and decided to offer me the job there and then! I actually thought it was a prank at first - ha!

Early opportunities do exist in my life, but it has always been because of networking or showing to the world what I was studying or researching.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?