๐Ÿฅ‡First positions in the Royal Championship? Share your screenshot and collect your badge!

Offensive Username

Options

Comments

• Nikolaos_Prodromidis
    Nikolaos_Prodromidis Posts: 5,526 Level 5
    Options

Thanks @sherricrash, I am going to report it!

• Lady_Sarina
    Lady_Sarina Posts: 5,617 Level 5
    Options

Hi @sherricrash

Thank you for letting us know & using the paperclip option to upload. That is very thoughtful & appreciated! ๐ŸŒป

• NatalieG
    NatalieG Posts: 628 Pro Player 👑
    edited August 2022
    Options

@Lady_Sarina

@Nikolaos_Prodromidis

@sherricrash

Lady_Sarina, I too am grateful @sherricrash used the paperclip option to report THAT NAME! I truly hope support will be able to find the user of this account. Even though people use that derogatory language many times, it's always upsetting to hear it and see it in writing. I am so grateful I did not see this name pop up in a game I was playing. Just seeing it took my breath away. It's no secret I am Black/African American and just as it took my breath away just seeing the name, if I saw it in one of my games, it would still take my breath away.

Although I am a STONG BLACK WOMAN, people like this can often be dangerous and it's evident when you use that as a name in this game that is nation wide. There are lots of young people playing this game. I have niece's and nephew's playing this game and it more than takes my breath away if they were to see it. How can support stop this? When someone creates a user name is it possible to stop it before they create a user name that is offensive? With all the technology to create this game is there some way to stop this from happening? I don't use a lot of the shorten text that practically every uses, for instance LOL, OMG. I know there's a dictionary for these sayings, so certain letters put together can also be offensive, can anything be done to stop this as well?

I know this is a lot, but that just sucked ALL the air out of me!

If I come across something like that I hope I have figured out how to use the paperclip option to report it. I am almost sorry I looked at this, but glad I did so I can warn my younger family to stop playing this game.

• Nikolaos_Prodromidis
    edited August 2022
    Options

@NatalieG, unfortunately there are people who are not polite and they have not any manners! They do not respect other people,

What is the reason for someone to use this name, or the other names that have been reported here?

There is a possibility to be some underaged user! But it is also possible not to be underaged!

I have a question here @Lady_Sarina:

Except the facebook and King accounts, what other options are for someone to connect and play a game? Lets say that the connection methods are:

• Without any account: The game gives you a random name and picture and you see on your screen that your name is "Me". Result: not offensive name.
    • Facebook: there is not a possibility to use an offensive user name in fb, as far as Iknow! You are directly reported and banned! Result: not offensive name.
    • King account: I don't know details, but if someone has an offensive user name in a King account, then it is very easy to be found by King!
    • Other connection method: I don't know if exists any, but I heared something about. If exists, it is the most possible way for someone to appear using this kind of name.

@Lady_Sarina, do I miss something?

• NatalieG
    Options

@Nikolaos_Prodromidis,

I understand all that you say, but this is WAY MORE than being polite and someone with no manners! This is RACIST! Although I didn't grow up with too much of this, because my Mother and Grandparents taught me NOT to act in this way even though they lived throughout most of their lives with it. It still exists to this day and I often wonder if it will EVER END!

The reason they use a name like this is because they are RACIST! No other reason in life! This person has the capacity to be dangerous! These are the things I was taught on recognizing the threat and to not engage with this type of RACISM! You stayed clear of someone who exhibits this kind of behavior!

No matter how many times it happens, it is ALWAYS frightening. Things like this can take you back to stories your Grandparents, your Mother and all of her siblings told you. It can take you back to things you've seen and heard. And it's still happening EVERYDAY.

As much as I love this game, if I see something like this, I may have to stop playing it.

• Lady_Sarina
    Options

Hi @Nikolaos_Prodromidis & @NatalieG

There are a couple of different aspects to this.

On one hand a Community Kingdom Account Name is much easier to be dealt with right here in the Community & something out Techers, Mod's & CMz have had a bit of practice with, so the formats have been better & stronger, especially of late.

However, when it comes to non community linked accounts, it is much more trickier & not always as easy to get into accounts without the Player ID's & other details. There is a lot more searching & navigating tech wise to jump through hoops on.

When it comes to topics like offensive users names, whilst most of us are usually on the same page, naturally in such a global, multicultural platform, there are different perspectives. Not just in culture but also in general Netiquette/ Etiquette, which like you Natalie, I was educated on the later by my Grandmother also. Same with swearing. An intelligent person rarely needs to use it at all. (Although maybe everyone is human sometimes & stubbing your toe on a freezing winter 3 degree morning on the way to the lavatory at 3 am, might be an exception, whilst hopping on one foot!๐Ÿ˜)

Netiquette, I'm learning, is something entirely different & still not really a "norm" yet. Whilst I prefer not being shouted at, when some things are written in Capital Letters & it does read worse when that is bolded also, some don't see it that way either, though most do. Can also be an indicator someone has accidently left the Cap Locks key on too ๐Ÿ˜‚

I have also been asked to reconsider my perspective when I flagged a community name perceived as inappropriate. In my country, that name is actually a swear word. The user though, asked me to be more respectful of Family names in their culture. Thankfully, others also read it the way I did & all realized, I had good intentions & was just trying to keep the Community friendly & safe. I did apologize though, as it wasn't an easy situation.

Also, humour comes in many forms. Some things that some think are "Sassy", actually read as a Smart Aleck! Often, sarcasm can be lost when written or translated. Immaturity can play a part in that also. Both from the young & old unfortunately. Some preferring negative attention rather than no attention.

Sometimes those words can be reinforced by Entertainment role models or inferred in music to be acceptable also & can become a word bandied about generically without fore thought to what they may actually mean to others or how hurtful they can be. Not only from ignorance sometimes but also through a lack of insightful empathy for others.

There also can be a perception, that it's ok for an Indigenous person to reference a certain word, whether towards themselves or others, that would be offensive to them, if a non Indigenous person used it. I have an Indigenous friend who does that, so am always asking them why that is appropriate & how greeting one another that way is seen as cool? Can't quite get my head around the explanations but it's not my place to judge I guess.

I can certainly understand your view though & am really happy you are such a good role model for the children around you. In today's day & age, when there are so many children in Foster/ Group homes & more single parent families than ever before & still those who are under privileged, it's important, for them to have strong, well mannered & principled role models, to look to in positive demonstrated behaviour. Children tend to learn more from what we do, rather than what we say, so keep being the great strong person you are & know that you will make a difference & even here, you are very much appreciated in the Jelly Kingdom!๐ŸŒป๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿค—

• Lady_Sarina
    edited August 2022
    Options

Oh! Also, taking a screenshot & sending it through the In Game Help Centre may actually be a faster & more efficient way to have your game details transferred & maybe that might make finding those offensive names easier?

Will check that out :O)

• Nikolaos_Prodromidis
    Options

@NatalieG you are right, this is racism and it is not accepted, here in the forum and of course everywhere!

@Lady_Sarina, I hope that the tech team can find this person soon and delete the account!

• NatalieG
    Options

@Lady_Sarina,

I know about Netiquette, I usually don't use all caps or bold lettering or font. I apologize for both, and didn't mean to offend you or any sensible person in this Community, but I did feel the need to do so when I thought it was being glossed over. I know a majority of the people in this Community are not from the States and not aware of the problems people of color face every day in life. There were times I wished I lived in a different Country, but I realized this sort of thing is worldwide, just like the pandemic was. No Country was not affected in some way, some more than others. So going to a different Country may solve some things it may be worse in other things. So, I love the Country I was born in. Those words that I did that with, I wanted to express my disgust of the very offensive name and the person who thought that was an appropriate name to use, just like any other offensive name reported, but that one cut way too deep.To me that one is personal and showed me there is no safe place not to be called that. I was born and raised in the South and know when and what ofen times happen when that word is spoken or written. Nothing good ever comes from it. And it is still that way now. People are not born racist, they are taught to be racist. Yet, Black/African American children still have to be taught what to look for and how to avoid making a mistake that can cost them their lives, boys more so than girls, but we still have to tell our girls those same things as well. Even though we don't want to frighten our children, it's a necessary topic we have to address at some point in time. My eight year old grandson knows this already, why, because he has already been exposed to this behavior. In this day and time, why should my son-in-law have this sort of discussion with him? It takes away his/their innocence. Although he is still taught to be respectful to adults and his elders, he still is taught to be respectful to everyone. He is taught to treat people the way you want others to treat you. But not everyone is taught that.

• Nikolaos_Prodromidis
    Options

Hi @NatalieG, @Lady_Sarina!

I really did not know the word netiquette! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Of course I googled it and I found the meaning!

As for me, I don't care so much if some words here and there are in capitals and bold! I understand that emphasis is the reason!

Of course if there is a whole post in capitals, I understand that it is not right!

Natalie, I understand how do you feel! I am far away from the states, but my son, 18 years old, has internet friends from the states, they discuss a lot since many years and he explained me many things!

My son also explained me in detail about this offensive word that we discuss now! So I am well informed about!

Of course it is sad that all those that you described happening there! ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?