🎁 Win prizes and badges! Find out how HERE!

basic mathematics

제니퍼리
제니퍼리 Posts: 124 Level 3
edited June 2019 in Off-Topic
There's no priority when we solve addition and subtraction
or  multiplication and division. 
Addition and subtraction are equal in value.
multiplication and division are equal in value.
in this case,
you can solve the problem one by one from the left. 

20-8+2+3=17  right answer is 17 with out Bracket

20-(8+2+3)=7  answer is 7  only with the Bracket 

10x4/2x10/4=50

10x4/{(2x10)/4}=8

+ and -   equal value
x and /    equal value
x,/,+,-  Multiplication and division are always priority over subtraction and addition.   

ex)  2+4x2-10/2-2+2+2=7

Comments

• 제니퍼리
    50 - 5 X 2 = 30 
    12 + 5 x 2 = 22
    When solving a problem, multiplication and division always take precedence over addition and subtraction.
  • phi1ar
    phi1ar Posts: 156 Level 3
    It's not discriminatory,
    People in English are generally weak in math.
  • 제니퍼리
    edited June 2019
    50 - 5 X 2 = 30 
    12 + 5 x 2 = 22
    When solving a problem, multiplication and division always take precedence over addition and subtraction.
    ex)
     6 + 10 X 2 + 10 / 2 + 3 = 34

(6 +10) x 2 + 10 / 2 + 3 = 40

6 + 10 x 2 + 10 / (2 + 3) = 28

6 + 10 x (2 + 10) / 2 + 3 = 69

6 + 10 x (2 + 10) / (2 + 3) = 30

(6 + 10) x (2 + 10) / (2 + 1) = 64

• Lady_Choo
    Lady_Choo Posts: 23,882 Pet Rescue Moderator
    I got a high exam result in GCSE French. The most I can remember is Je suis desole, Sa va (and response) s'il vous plait and je m'appelle now and a couple of German phrases. 
    I also passed several exams in office skills a few years ago but seeing as I don't have office at home, I rarely use it so have forgotten most of it. 
    See where I am going with this haha. You don't have to be weak at maths just because you're English. My son is doing A level maths atm and all but one of my children are excellent at maths. we suspect the youngest takes after her dad for having the dyslexia version of maths but they are both very arty and creative. 
    Unless you use things a lot you tend to forget them, and as I don't use more than addition and subtraction regularly..I've forgotten everything I knew 30 years ago :) 
  • Lady_Choo
    Lady_Choo Posts: 23,882 Pet Rescue Moderator
    Thank you for the reminder though, I am not trawling though threads to find my answers again haha. 
  • 제니퍼리
    edited June 2019
    I cant find my post 

did you deleted it ?

it was like comment below.
  • 제니퍼리
    edited June 2019
    Xarly said:
    Hey everyone!

Lot's of great answers, it's great to see how many of you are trying to crack the code!

First of, apologies (and thanks for the heads-up @BeckyBubblegum!). You can all now comment on the main thread as well (There was an issue with the settings but we just fixed it). Participating there is not time limited, so now you can all go and try to be our Masterminds.

And regarding this riddle, I know it is indeed a tough one! However, some of you are indeed giving the right solution wink. Others though... not so much tongue. My hint for you all here, is to think about that last cupcake blocker. This is a blocker that is in-game since not so long ago. The one at the bottom is the blocker with all the possible layers in it. The number of layers there is the key. You can find it in some of the highest levels, but you can also find it in other sources (https://candycrushsoda.fandom.com/wiki/Cupcake).

I understand that this is a tough challenge (it was when I built it for you all, as well!) but we want to make sure the real masterminds are the ones getting such a prize (100 gold bars in your game, on top of the prizes here, is not a small prize, I would say wink).

Keep those submissions coming and, again, remember that the last of your submissions will be the only one that will count for the competition (you can't just write all numbers from 0 to 30 and have it count as valid tongue).

Looking forward to more of your comments! The main thread is now open, so please go and crack the code!
    Xarly

I checked your link.
    but, there is no information for last cupcake blocker.
    so it can be 4~5 layers.
    that white chocolate blocker at bottom  is 1 layer blocker.
    2 layers chocolate blocker  count as 10
    then, 1 layer chocolate blocker should be 5 or 9 
    so, answer can be 4~5 + 1 + 5  or 4~5 +9 = 10  or 11  or  14  or  15
    I have to choose the answer from above.
    my final answer is 10
  • phi1ar
    phi1ar Posts: 156 Level 3
    edited June 2019

we don't have any clue for that pancake(no one found this pancake in the game yet)

and, how can be that 2 layered chocolate blocker count as 10

we just have to wild guess.

I chose the correct answer as  5+1+5=11.
    Because the last pancake,
    It looks similar to 5 layered cherry cupcake. 

• 제니퍼리

answer can be  
    4+1+5=10   or   5+1+5=11   or   4+1+9=14  
    5+1+9=15   or   4+1+1=6   or   5+1+1=7
    Among them, I chose 10 as the answer.

• 제니퍼리
    edited June 2019
    Community Manager Xarly said

My hint for you all here, is to think about that last cupcake blocker. 
    This is a blocker that is in-game since not so long ago. The one at the bottom is the blocker with all the possible layers in it.

so, cupcake at the bottom is 5 layered = all the possible layers.

5+1+5 = 11
    answer is 11

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?