Translation Game

Options
Bumper2019
Bumper2019 Posts: 3,271 Level 5
edited March 2020 in Off-Topic

The aim of the game is to input a phrase into google translate (in the example it is some song lyrics), translate it through a few languages and see how different it can emerge.

I am not fluent enough to use another language, so my example starts in english (pull up to my bumper baby) and ends in english (I pull up my baby butt) I would hope that participants could use their preferred language as a starting point

It works better and gives more random results if your starting phrase includes local dialect of your language, and it would be good if the player could give an indication of what it would originally mean in english.

Comments

• Bumper2019
    Options

I have noticed that a major source of ill feeling in the community is a rift between english only speakers and non-english speakers.

This game would ideally bring the community closer, by helping english only speakers appreciate the difficulties faced by those who speak a different language, and also help to include, teach translation techniques, and maybe even english language itself, to those with a different mother tongue.

It would allow members of any nationality to be included and I would hope that the game can be given dispensation by the CMs to allow other languages in comments (for those not comfortable with screenshots) as long as one version of the translation at least is in english.

• Bumper2019
    Options

Example 2:

German is not my first language, so please forgive me. I tried to research German words with double meaning

I am trying to say

Yesterday I found the page turned over in a recipe book. I tried to make the sticky cake. I added garlic, just one clove as specified, but so much schnapps that I now have a hangover. I must go back to the old inn for hair of the dog

Becomes:

Yesterday I got a donkey donkey in a recipe book. I tried to soften the bee. Added garlic, just a pointed toe, but so many emotions I now have a hangover. I want to go back to business to get dog hair.

It is not important to include many screenshots or translations but if you do many attempts it is more varied and sometimes very funny!

• Bumper2019
    Options

You ain't nothin' but a hound dog

Cryin' all the time

Well, you ain't never caught a rabbit and you ain't no friend of mine

Well they said you was high-classed

Well, that was just a lie.

= You are a dog, but a useless dog

Everyone was crying

Well you won't catch the rabbit

You said you were middle class

Well it's a lie

• Spinnifix
    Spinnifix Posts: 24,828 Sweet Legend
    Options

Hi! Bumper! It sounds very interesting. But it's just too much for me. I'm out for health reasons. Sorry

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?