For level designers: how to use both cherries and hazelnuts in a level

Options
Magic_Mixer
Magic_Mixer Posts: 255 Level 4
edited July 2021 in Discussions

It seems like the hazelnuts will be removed after moves levels will, and I was really wondering why you never tried to be creative with having 2 types of ingredients.

While they function in the exact same way, it is still useful to have more kinds of ingredients, kinda like it is useful to have more candy colours.

I was thinking that you could make levels where you aren't required to collect all ingredients on the board, so that the players will have to choose which ingredients they should try to unlock. This will add replayability to the levels and make them more strategical, the players will have to choose a strategy. This does NOT mean the levels will be easier, it just means they will be more fun.

You can get even more creative with this system by making the player have to collect a certain amount of cherries and a certain amount of hazelnuts, so that they will be able to choose which cherries and which hazelnuts to collect.

Additionally, ingredient levels feel more repetitive if you only have to collect cherries all the time.

Again, I'm not telling you you must lower the difficulty, I just wanted to suggest a way to make the game more fun.

Another use would be to make some order locks that require hazelnuts, so that the player needs to collect cherries to open a lock and hazelnuts to open another one

Comments

• Goldenswordz
    Goldenswordz Posts: 534 Level 3
    Options

I'm pretty sure hazelnuts are being phased out due to mixed mode levels or something. But still. Is it really that hard to include two types of ingredients in a level? Most mixed mode types are compatible with two types of ingredients, rainbow rapids, jelly, etc. So I think hazelnuts should stay.

Also, not really related to the topic. But I prefer the new hazelnut's design over the new cherry's design. I'd much rather have cherries removed over hazelnuts.

• Magic_Mixer
    Options

@Goldenswordz I totally agree. Hazelnuts look much better, and they make some contrast with the eye-killing white and red colours the game has now.

And I don't really think they did it due to mixed mode levels, as for now there can't be 3 level types in one, so it's really just because they see no purpose in having 2 ingredients, but there is one!

• Goldenswordz
    Options

There's no point in calling an ingredients level an "ingredients" level if there isn't more than one type of ingredient. Call it cherry levels or something if they're gonna do that.

• arwen777
    arwen777 Posts: 1,394 Level 5
    Options

Hazelnuts are going to be eliminated from the game?! 😲 When? Why? This is the first time I'm hearing of this! 😵

• Goldenswordz
    Options

Every level past level 8500 or so no only uses cherries and never hazelnuts. Some levels are also being redesigned, and remove hazelnuts along with it.

• Magic_Mixer
    Options

@arwen777 while they didn't say it, they stopped using hazelnuts in new levels (which they also did for chameleon candies, mistery candies and moves levels), and they even changed the ingredient cannon icon to a cherry

• Fences
    Fences Posts: 1,122 Level 4
    Options

The god damn designers still haven't resized the god damn hazelnut.

• Magic_Mixer
    Options

@Fences I know, I know it annoys you, but they don't care because they want to remove it anyways

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?