Candy Crush Saga Becomes Less and Less Fun with Each Change

Options
eagleholly1
eagleholly1 Posts: 55 Level 3

CC Saga is essentially a matching game. It used to be fun, but over the years more and more obstacles and fewer choices have become available to players who don't pay. Most recently, the Candy Box Event now chooses which tasks we must complete rather than allowing us to choose from options--being compelled, for example, to collect licorice swirl blockers instead of just a certain number of a color.

We play it to have fun...not for increasing levels of frustration. How do we players convince the management team that if we wanted to play something frustrating and costly and not fun, we would play one of those games?

Comments

• SuzanneB
    SuzanneB Posts: 135 Level 2
    Options

I wish we knew how to make them come out of hiding and respond to their customers / players. I guess some are somewhere with their heads stuck in the sand and others are hiding behind their desks counting their money.

• Ann_Painter
    Ann_Painter Posts: 10 Level 2
    Options

I was just coming to post the same thing! And I hate when the rewards are timed boosters. Because then I have to plan how to finish or claim it. With this new version o don’t have that choice,

• eagleholly1
    Options

Everything about CC these days seems to me to be to exclude non-paying players. I totally agree with you about the timed boosters...they don't want us to accumulate boosters for when we need them, but just dole them out randomly for the briefest time possible. And the candy box someone mentioned is the same thing--forced to use up boosters rather than accumulate them for play.

• eagleholly1
    Options

My question as well. There are laws pertaining to gaming, including online gaming, and the company is probably obligated to allow anyone to play--pay or not. But they would like to see us go away, and make the game as unenjoyable as possible for us. I am hoping that someone with some legal clout will read our complaints and take legal action.

• cookiemae
    cookiemae Posts: 611 Level 3
    Options

I'm sorry is this a gaming site? Are you suggesting that we can legally tell a company how to run their game? I don't understand what you are saying is it kings job legally to make the game enjoyable for everyone?

• christinewupp
    christinewupp Posts: 6,000 Level 5
    Options

Hi there. I'm not sure how you think legal action might be taken in this instance. Some of the manipulative tactics in Candy Crush are exploitative and misleading, but so is what nearly every other big company does in the world of business. A lot of people take this game far too seriously because they have been playing for years and are addicted and can't imagine their lives without it. But these gold bars are not real! It is just a game. Candy Crush has nothing to do with gambling. No one has to pay money to play Candy Crush, just in the same way that no one has to buy a bottle of gin or a giant tub of ice cream. If you wanted to make a legal case against any company that manipulates you to get hooked on their product so that you will spend money on it, then you'd be very busy indeed.

If you don't enjoy this game, just don't play it. There is really no more to say.

• MonicaYellow
    MonicaYellow Posts: 693 Level 3
    Options

Freeloaders vs Customers vs Shareholders

Do remember pl, this is a free service game, on a freemium business model. There is of course the option for us to spend money. See, King believes in providing options.

Imagine, when someone visits your home, and demands being given an option not to follow your house rules. Do you change your rules immediately?

Most of us do not spend money on the game, so technically, we are users of the service, freeloaders, not customers.

When you do spend money on the game, to buy gold bars, boosters; you are a customer. You have customer service rights over your purchases, eg, wrong number of boosters delivered. You do NOT have customer service right over the design of the game features, such as what features should be included in the Choc Box.

Shareholders do have a right to influence how a listed company runs its business. King is part of Activision Blizzard, Inc, traded on the Nasdaq stock exchange.

I too prefer the good old choc boxes with gold bars and 4 choices for each order. As I'm a freeloader, I have the right to give feedback, but no right to demand that King changes it to fit my liking.

I do have the right to stop playing the game, King will not force me to stay on.

• eagleholly1
    Options

Your word choice belies your personal take on the matter. The game is available to all to play. We're not freeloaders if as part of the human race, we decide to play. But for those who do not pay, the game is made so difficult that it ceases to have any semblance of game-ness. There is no fun it if when, as one commenter posted, it takes over 200 tries to pass a level. Make the free version of the game simple...easy to play easy to pass, and leave the dungeons and dragons aspects to those who enjoy the drama. Kinda the difference between checkers and chess...Let CC for seniors and others who just want a pleasant pastime to poke along on a passable game. Give all the bells-and-whistles obstacles to those who have money to blow. It has to do with issues of fundamental kindness. The game is out there on the worldwide web as free to play. But if it is made so difficult that the ordinary person must just give up, then that is where the legal questions enter regarding definitions of free and definitions of fair. In education, to use the legal example, all children are entitled by law to a fee and appropriate public education. If a parent wants a private education--for any of a variety of reasons--they can and do take advantage of that. It does not mean that those who opt for a public education are blocked in every way possible from attaining it.

It's not necessary to be rude to those who disagree with your take on things. Sometimes it's helpful to be willing to have a conversation. I'm not sure King Games is interested in that; obviously, some of its players prefer the "if you don't like it then leave" conversation...which actually closes the door on conversation.

• MonicaYellow
    MonicaYellow Posts: 693 Level 3
    Options

Pardon me for choosing freeloaders as the short version for users of free service, no intention of being rude on my part, as I fully identify myself as one of the freeloaders, never having spent money on this game.

Pardon me for not showing kindness by not joining the group to demand King to observe the fundamental issue of kindness (as you've put it) and make this game simple, with no blockers etc., just easy to play and easy to pass. My understanding (it may be wrong, pardon me again) is that King is a business concern, not a welfare service provider. There are of course legal provisions for running a business that King needs to observe, but to ensure that players of this game will pass every level with ease is not one of them, or is it?

Pardon me, yet again, for not being familiar with legal systems outside UK and Singapore. I only offer my observation on your analogy of free public education, based on Singapore laws. Yes, primary school education is free for children of Singapore citizens, which means all eligible children will receive primary education free. Each child must complete the curriculum and pass the prescribed examinations to progress to next level. Take note here, complete and pass the level (sounds like Candy Crush Saga?). Most have no problem, but we do have failure cases. It's up to the child to pass the level, the legal system only ensures that each eligible child receives the education, not passing examinations.

Finally, another pardon me. I do respectfully disagree with your statement .".Let CC for seniors and others who just want a pleasant pastime to poke along on a passable game". Take a careful look, there are quite a few crushers at the top of the game map who are seniors. We enjoy challenges, as long as they are not impossible levels by design fault.

I'm 71 yrs young, and have been playing this game for years until I lost my passion, having to wait for new release of 45 levels each Wednesday. But this is the reality, I can't expect (let alone demand) King to release 45 new levels each day, to keep me happy. Lucky for me, I've found this community, and returned playing, now handling another 2 family accounts.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?