King's new low - removal of post-win cascade "points"

Options
Deryck
Deryck Posts: 1,121 Level 5

Just when I thought King couldn't make the game any less fun, they come up with today's latest.

Beyond making it difficult/time-consuming to collect the required candies for events like Candy Collection, there's a dual effect of not being able to achieve the kind of high scores in the past. i.e., greater likelihood of failing to get Sugar Stars on levels where it used to be super easy due to post-win cascades

I assume this change affects all levels but is most evident in any 3-colored level (levels with green, blue, & orange candies only). Test it out, and post if you've been affected. For me, it started today.

Comments

• christinewupp
    christinewupp Posts: 6,131 Level 5
    Options

Hi @Deryck I do like to try things out and work out how the game functions, but I'm not quite clear on what you describe here. The cascades at the end of levels have been gone for a few months now, since they started to drop red and yellow candies from the top. I haven't myself noticed any new changes since that was changed. The candies that drop after you succeed the level do still count towards the total, don't they? If that has changed, how do you work that out?

• Deryck
    Options

Thanks for contributing @christinewupp. Although you're partially right that the post-win cascades have been gone for months, as some Community members like myself discovered, they would still last just as long as "Tap to Skip" was pressed right away. The exception was winning a level with 0 moves left; then there would be no cascade bonus points and all the candy colors would drop like the red and yellow you mention.

Now it appears the bonus has been done away with for good. Before, as per 3-colored levels, pressing Skip would end the cascade sequence with just those 3 colors remaining on the board; now, doing so has all the colors on the board after waiting a few seconds.

What I think has happened is that, to address your first question, the number of candies dropped after winning a level has been drastically reduced due to the widespread removal of the cascades. Whether they count toward the total or not, I can't determine for certain.

What tipped me off to the change, though, is my trusty 3-colored old level that I replay (L 54) now only gives an average of 20 striped candies (I'm doing the Candy Collection version of 1800 stripes) whereas before it used to average 50-100 stripes. Also, before the change, I'd get Sugar Stars on this level virtually every time. Now I've only gotten SS once.

• Germanacho
    Germanacho Posts: 201 Level 3
    Options

Very disgusting. I think is necessary to make a demand to King.

• christinewupp
    christinewupp Posts: 6,131 Level 5
    Options

Thanks for you detailed explanation! I haven't been that observant at the end of levels because I've never much played collection events before. I do notice something a bit different at the end but not quite sure what it is. The "level won" screen comes up a lot quicker now, that is definitely true, I notice that. In fact there was just a another post about what is probably the same phenomenon today titled "Blue Candies on Level 8328". I wonder what will be next.....

• Deryck
    Options

Glad it made sense! Indeed, these levels were useful for the collection events, but they were also fun simply to see what high score the algorithm would give you for winning.

The frustrating part about this is not that long ago (last year too?), King removed the Candy Bomb multiplier bonus and had to adjust target scores for many old levels to account for the change. In fact, as someone in the low 3,000s, I can tell you they've overlooked quite a bunch and IMO I don't think they ever plan on rectifying those. They just keep plugging away at the top of the map. 🙄

Now that the cascade bonus seems to be gone for good, it'll mean they have to once again readjust target scores for many old levels to account for this new change. It is insane that King is creating more work for themselves--then again, they likely don't intend to do anything about those target scores. But just watch, I guarantee we'll be seeing an influx of "I can't reach the star target" posts in the Community soon. This will be one of the reasons.

Thanks also for linking that thread. Since I don't have the Party Popper Celebration event, I wouldn't have thought to visit it, but you're right: it describes the exact phenomena I raise here. L8328 is just the kind of 3-colored level I was talking about. I think you're spot-on about the reason BTW; this seems to be a King attempt to force players to play new levels.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?