King Updating Levels Tracking (edit for 1meg images oops)

Options
Pyrolight
Pyrolight Posts: 856 Level 3
edited March 9 in Discussions

Seems King is updating levels again, in a good way

Mucking around on mobile and noticed:

Level 150 - has licorice generators and more licorice in general.

Level 158 - 8 less turns but far easier sides.

Level 164 - 3 less turns but no jelly/licorice blockers on hatchlings (outside of the obvious one that is needed)

Level 166 - 4 less turns, less jelly, less frosting, double wrapped generators and extra striped generators on side. Massive difference

Might track all the changes when I do a serious playthrough but it seems King is losing mone... listening.

Comments

• PummyRaj
    PummyRaj Posts: 33,026 Candy Moderator
    Options

Hi @Pyrolight🤗

I played these levels last week (just started 2nd game)! Out of those 4 screenshots, I remember only the last one -- Level 166🤔 Let me check other levels and get back to you if I have the same or not!!

In general, I am feeling that the game has become easy now (than 10 years ago)! Most of the levels used to be "Jelly" levels! Now, I see "frosting" in most of the levels!! I am still in 200's though😊

Also, I see UFO booster popping in frequently!! That is the reason I remember level 166 board 🛸

• christinewupp
    christinewupp Posts: 6,094 Level 5
    edited March 9
    Options

Oh Goodness Me @Pyrolight ! I know those levels well and it's great to see they have made level 166 easier, that one I hated so much and hardly ever managed to do without boosters. You are making me want to start a fresh test game now but I'm using all three of my devices, damn! I just went back to my level 15,000+ game and have noticed that here they have added a whopping 10 moves to a lot of levels since the videos on YouTube posted three months ago. Perhaps they are worried about losing too many players. On the other hand, I vaguely remember levels getting easier in the run up to All Stars last year (and getting really horribly hard afterwards) so perhaps this is to encourage as many players as possible into the game to play All Stars. I'd be really interested how you are finding those horrible 225-260 levels in your new game? Lately there has always been one or two impossible ones amongst those (always one ending in a 5 or 0 ).

• Pyrolight
    edited March 10
    Options

So decided to start a new game on mobile. Gonna do a basic list:

Level:

43 - The blue and orange wrapped have options to make useful matches. This was changed a few months ago.

57 - Two striped can fall from some of the generators

83 - Two more turns

84 - Somewhat less frosting

118 - 4 more frosting, less jelly coverage

Interesting in this new game, 150 is unmodified. Guess I am not part of that test group this time around.

• christinewupp
    edited March 10
    Options

I wonder if your entire game is in a test group. I have just scrolled all the way back in two of my games to check out a complaint about level 98 in Support and I find that my level 166 is unchanged from how it used to be, so it's not like yours.

By the way, the complaint about 98 was that they got 23 moves and their friend had 40 moves. I have some doubt if there isn't some mistake here thoug and have asked them for a screenshot to verify. I have 30 moves for level 98.

This is my screenshot for level 164, as you can see my gummi dragons are still covered with jelly BUT I have just played it and had the most ridiculously lucky board with two colour bombs appearing side by side halfway through and helping me clear the level with 15 moves left to play. The colour bomb on my starting board is from the daily treat machine, maybe that triggered my lucky board, I wonder.

• christinewupp
    Options

These other changes you write about, such as those on level 43 I have in my game also. I had always found level 43 really easy to pass and now it actually seems harder than it used to be, even though the first few moves appear to be more productive. I think the algorithm for thid one has been completely rewritten without an obvious change to the gameboard here.

Also I'm now testing out the first "legendary" level on both of my devices. I had a suspicion that one of the reasons they got rid of chocolate on these early levels was so they could control these levels better, and I think I was right. Level 220 is now impossible without boosters, certainly on your first few attempts, so this is a win streak blocker and probably set up to make unwitting players new to the game (those who at this stage still think the candies drop randomly and all levels can be passed with the right moves....) part with their boosters at this point. King took away two moves from this one, and made it legendary since the latest YouTube videos were posted.

• christinewupp
    Options
  • Alienscar
    Alienscar Posts: 14,038 Legend
    Options

Seems King is updating levels again

Not really sure what you mean by 'again' @Pyrolight levels are continuously and regularly updated by King.

King monitor the levels and tweak them to make them easier or harder based on the data they collect. This is a non-stop process. They never release a level and then just leave it.

It has always seemed a bit of an odd method to me. Release a level that is okay. Make it harder because too many people complete it easily. Make it easier because after making harder to complete not enough people can complete it. Then start again ad infinitum.

Levels are different across platforms, so trying to make assessments from just your own game is really difficult.

• christinewupp
    Options

There is something a bit more than the usual tweaking going on this week I think @Alienscar . I have not in the past 10 months or so come across a single complaint that a level had more moves than other players get that held out to scrutiny. Suddenly this week the same levels have different number of moves at the same time. That is new to me. And it is particularly unfair.

• Alienscar
    Alienscar Posts: 14,038 Legend
    Options

Suddenly this week the same levels have different number of moves at the same time. That is new to me. And it is particularly unfair.

One level doesn't prove anything @christinewupp and minor differences in the number of moves on the same level can easily be explained due to differences between platforms. Level differences between iOS, PC and android has been commented on before as some people don't think it is fair

For that level 98 post I am mindful that there are several ways of obtaining more moves that could explain the difference. If the player hadn't played in awhile they might have received the 14 extra moves 'welcome back' gift and 3 more moves from a friend.

I agree with what you said earlier though Christine in that last year's All Stars seemed to provide an easement of the level difficulty until the qualifiers had finished.

• Pyrolight
    edited March 10
    Options

Ya this is beyond that.

1. It is clearly not being rolled out to everyone. I had two accounts on had it one didn't have it, same device.
    2. Some one these levels have been the same for quite a long time. Also these are in the section where they removed chocolate and bombs.
    3. 164 as example is not a minor tweak. That level is notoriously frustrating and has been that way for quite awhile.

I get they update levels all the time but I am not convinced this is just the normal monitoring process. I suspect this is, assuming not just for all-stars, is to smooth out the lower levels in general even more.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?