We're aware of an issue with Facebook purchases for all King Games and our team is on it. 🛠️ Hang tight while we fix things! You can still enjoy the game, and we'll keep you posted once it's solved.

Can Candy Crush be played without buying gold and using free turns

2»

Comments

• Deryck
    Deryck Posts: 1,268 Level 5

weekend check-in for my alt. game: I'm at L366.

In the 200 range, I lost 205, 220, 260, and 261, which was OK as they were gold-crowned in the past. 261 - not actually hard, but I find these "This level does not affect your win streak" type levels are dependent on a lucky board.

Full disclosure: I did pay the 10 gold to gold-crown two levels, I think 240 and 245. The trend I'm finding in this level range that makes them tough is few moves to clear the layers of frosting blockers.

I'm kicking myself for losing L327. This level highlights what you spoke of about boosters being a hindrance than a benefit. Using the boosters from the Win streak necklace forced a "no more possible switches" message upon starting the level. After losing the streak, I won the level on my next play, NBU, go figure. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Then I paid 10 gold each to gold-crown 360 and 364 when I saw winning was possible with one more move.

Next update should come after next week's Top That! ends.

• christinewupp
    christinewupp Posts: 8,368 Legend

I am not sure what it is precisely you are trying to test out and prove here.

The game is definitely designed to be playable without buying gold. Boosters and gold bars available from events are sufficient to play well beyond level 1000 and probably up to level 15,000 right now if you play at a pace that is not excessive. But gold crowns and passing on your first attempt at all costs is not part of the strategy design of this game in 2024. Those win streak blocker levels are in the game for a reason. Some levels ending in the digit "5" in the 200s range are clearly designed for players to fail on their first attempt and then pay gold to pass at a later attempt. Which levels these are changes from week to week so taking advantage of this fact will come to your aid in gaining gold crowns @Deryck given your sneaky method. I do think that paying more than 10 gold per level to keep a win streak is a folly. I'm not sure what it would prove if you managed to do it, because a few weeks from now they'll change the level difficulty, and then you would have to do it all over again to prove the same point. To succeed in Candy Crush is about when you play and when you pause playing. So if the game gets unplayable for two days of the week, then there is an easy way out! Surely this must mean that the answer to your question is "Yes, but only if you choose the right time and speed to play".

Perhaps @Pyrolight on your next test game you might tighten the criteria to "one episode each day", or "two episodes per day". I do believe how fast we play affects the game play, so this information needs to be included if we try to prove anything.

• Deryck
    Deryck Posts: 1,268 Level 5

@christinewupp Pyro is the one testing, I'm guessing for his own reasons. I'm just doing this for my personal satisfaction to get gold crowns on levels I either hadn't gotten years ago or to get gold crowns King denied me for no reason. 😅 I figured I could provide related info about *what* makes levels difficult though.

If my last comment (s) wasn't clear, it doesn't matter to me if I lose a level so long as it's not one I hadn't gold-crowned previously. Not sure why you wrote about playing now v. playing the same level in the future as for me this play-through is a one-time thing. I only mention the levels where I use gold to win to highlight tricky levels. But you're right that levels can change unexpectedly. Case in point, they recently changed 976, what used to be one of the easy/fun levels similar to the old 1055. 😞

• Colleen Companion Welsh
    Colleen Companion Welsh Posts: 938 Level 4

I reset my game in May after getting so frustrated at level 16400+. I starting to realize that I will need a new game to play if I keep up at this pace. Here is a screenshot of my current level and Gold Bar holdings. When I reset my account I think I had 200 Gold Bars.

Have a great day 😊

August 27, 2024 - 11:15 AM NST

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?