Level Difficulty Changing?

Options
Michael917
Michael917 Posts: 9 Level 2

I noticed over the past several days that almost all of the levels I was encountering were pink. Naturally, this meant nothing as 95% of them were still impossibly difficult, but then this afternoon suddenly a bunch of them showed as purple or blue. Anybody ever encounter this type of glitch before?

Comments

• Rhonda_L
    Rhonda_L Posts: 540 Level 3
    Options

Yes, just happened to me this afternoon. Instead of having 1 hard level coming up in my Episode, I now have 2 Super, 2 Nightmares, and a Legendary after completing 7 of the, not-so-easy, easy levels.

It's not a glitch, King changes things when they want to with no regard to their players. As I've said many times before, it is what it is. Frustrating as all get out? Absolutely, YES! Doesn't do any good to offer feedback because they don't care.

Happy Crushin'?!? 😸

• christinewupp
    christinewupp Posts: 6,338 Level 5
    Options

There is definitely some revamp of levels going on. I noticed last week that all the chocolate was replaced by frosting in the levels up to at least 300, making it so boring to play I gave up that game. They are just testing and testing and testing, different game to different players at different weeks. In one of my games the levels were ridiculously easy to pass yesterday, I zoomed through them without having to use any booster at all, just on my win streak, at levels 3426 - 3440. In my other game I am about to start episode level 1716 and a full ten of the 15 levels are marked as hard or nightmarishly hard or something like that. I am not sure @Michael917 if this is what you mean though. If you think you have a glitch, show us a screenshot so we can see what it might be.

• Oichi
    Oichi Posts: 103 Level 2
    Options

I am pretty sure the game keeps track of how many average attempts a player takes to beat the level and the game automatically changes the levels to be “hard,super hard,nightmare, and legendary. Based on the average attempts it took for players to beat the level.

I don’t think king does anything at all to change the level difficulty themselves.

This is also why when new levels are released, they are all just pink and no hard levels at all since they are new and no average attempts to gather from players. Because not enough people has played them yet.

• Rhonda_L
    Rhonda_L Posts: 540 Level 3
    Options

I really have no idea how to respond to your post.

You have to be joking @Oichi, you don't think King does anything to change the difficulty of a level? What reality are you living in? Evidently, not the Candy Crush the rest of us are playing.

Good luck to you

• Oichi
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Rhonda_L I’m saying the game changes it automattically based on peoples attempts. Do you think king decides to just randomly change some random level out of 15000 levels from super hard to nightmarishly hard just because they feel like it?

Sometimes when you fail a level Mr.toffee gives statistcs about other players on the same level. So surely they use that info to make the game automattically change a levels “difficulty” instead of doing it themselves.

If they did do it themselves, i’m pretty sure newly released levels would already have a difficulty assigned to them, but they don’t.

But mabye King does change the difficulty themselves sometimes, if that’s what you are saying. Or they change it themselves after seeing the statistcs of the players playing them.

• christinewupp
    Options

I think you are both right, in a different way. Of course @Oichi the initial rating of the new levels is probably done in the way you describe and that is probably how King assess the rating of older levels as well. But King definitely do change the "difficulty" of levels ALL THE TIME simply by changing from a "lucky board" algorithm to a "no lucky board" algorithm. All they have to do is flick a switch on their computers from one to the other and so one player will get a lucky board on their first attempt, another on their second, another on their ninth and another never unless they play a booster on their last move or pay gold for extra moves. They also flick the switch from one week to the next, so a level that you found hard or impossible to pass may get easier next week and visa versa.

• Alienscar
    Alienscar Posts: 14,408 Legend
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Oichi you are exactly right. King has told us that they do not set the level difficulty on the map and the difficulty rating of a level is set by an automatic script that updates the levels after they have been played for a few weeks.You are also right in that we have been told that the difficulty rating of a level is based on player performance.

That said I believe the difficulty legend/marker of a level is immaterial as the designers must know how difficult a level is when they release it.

Or they change it themselves after seeing the statistcs of the players playing them.

This is also mostly correct. King has said time and time again that all of the levels are monitored after release and any that are too easy or too hard are altered accordingly. They would still not change the level rating though after they altered a level as this is always completed by the script. This probably explains why levels marked as Hard are easy to complete and vice versa. It is because the script lags behind the physical changes.

• Oichi
    Options

@Alienscar Thank you for confirming this! I’m aware they change the level layout, they do that all the time.

• christinewupp
    Options

There is definitely something going on with regards to level ranking. I've not seen a board looking quite like this. In the 3000-4000 range this does seem a bit unusual.

• Alienscar
    Alienscar Posts: 14,408 Legend
    Options

Unusual @christinewupp, but maybe to be expected. King's tinkering with the levels goes on behind the scenes and by and large the changes go unnoticed.

I believe what you and other people are seeing is the result of the level rating script catching up with the physical changes made by King. In my opinion the large number of difficult levels appearing on the map is just the script for the level rating letting us know that King has been deliberately making the game harder in the background.

Possibly linked to the Candy Cups and other similar Events.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?