And the winning strategy this weekend is.....

Options
christinewupp
christinewupp Posts: 6,293 Level 5

After extensive tests with three different games at three different level ranges I can definitely say that being on a top win streak and playing all three starting boosters is a trigger for lucky boards.

This includes legendary levels, normal levels, nightmarishly hard levels, the lot!

Using this strategy, in about half my levels the two colour bombs start off side by side: Level won. Failing that my first move would be two wrapped candies together or a colour bomb plus wrapped candy together. I got that opportunity on most remaining boards. If that was not available I played whatever first move the game suggested and it almost always miraculously cleared most of the board.

Warning: Occasionally you still need a strategically placed booster near the end or one set of extra moves to keep hold of your win streak, but not often. There may be oops levels where you are playing, but in levels 4000- 5100 and 500-710 I have not encountered any. I can't speak for any other level range. Also I have the top win streak that gives me 2 colour bombs and 2 each wrapped and striped candy. If your win streak is different you may not be so lucky.

Final warning: This will work for one weekend only. So keep crushing while the going is good!

Comments

• Alienscar
    Alienscar Posts: 14,396 Legend
    Options

I disagree with your assessment @christinewupp. What you describe has got nothing to do with it being the weekend as the same thing happened to me Weds-Thurs.

I received my Daily Win boosters and some timed boosters from one of the many Events that are continually taking place lately and I flew through an Episode. Later in the week I received more timed boosters from another Event and again flew through levels.

Up until yesterday I had completed 47 levels which isn't a lot by your standards, but is a lot for me. The highest Win Streak I had was 8, but most of the time it was less than 5.

Using pre-game boosters and a full Win Streak is a winning strategy no matter what time of the week it is. Personally I don't find that it makes 'lucky' boards appear, but what it does do is make boards easier to play.

Overall what this strategy is doing is teaching players that the game is easier with boosters and a Win Streak, the aim for King being that they want people to worry enough to pay to keep their Win Streak

• christinewupp
    Options

A little update on my post.

I have found that I was losing gold on my game using the above strategy because the game does not give my Sunflower game enough boosters through events to maintain this strategy. So I tried using just one pre level booster (either colour bomb or striped/wrapped) and that seems to be enough to trigger a lucky board. I also started to always use the first two moves the game suggests: Lucky boards all along. I'd be interested to find if this works for other players as well or just me. @Alienscar I agree that this is a winning strategy a lot of times, but it certainly doesn't work for me all the time and as reliably as it has worked for me this weekend. I am noticing a definite change in the algorithms since last weekend, which was just unwinnable for me with the same strategy.

I am now pre playing each level on my iPad to check whether I need to use pre level boosters at all before I spend more boosters on my iPhone.

• Pyrolight
    Pyrolight Posts: 883 Level 3
    Options

Last weekend was when I went though 500-800, good lord.

Just to add my thoughts, I find you get easier board Monday to Thursday getting harder each day Friday, Saturday and Sunday. That being said, this weekend is harder but far more normal. Pre game boosters seem to have a legit effect, even just one.

From my playing, a booster does make a difference but you can get away without one but it is risky.

• christinewupp
    Options

All in all I have found the first move suggestions by the game extremely helpful today. That is not always so, but today it has been strangely helpful. Yes, one starting booster has been sufficient on most levels today to pass. I'm not sure it matters which one....? I have found the algorithms more predictable and easy to read than ever. Maybe that's why I've enjoyed my game today. I wonder if someone at King has made an error of judgement or if it's deliberately easy. Either way, it plays into the hands of those who know how to get lots of starting boosters for free.

• Pyrolight
    Options

I play a lot of strategy and RPG game and hints are nearly insufferable, become massive spam, hurt performance (a HUGE issue in strategy games) and have debatable usefulness once you get the basic down. As a result I turn them off by default.

I should try a game with them to see the difference.

Ya 1 booster + full streak is going pretty well, except for a very ... interesting levels. Level 1331 can just... get that in the middle of a 1500 Candy Royal. There was another one that I should have just gone for the UFO, did 2 extra turns, terrible idea as I needed the UFO anyway. Would have saved me 26 gold.

• SigmaMMX
    SigmaMMX Posts: 331 Level 3
    Options

In my game I've noticed that it's a little more friendly lately

Before, when I entered the level with just the win streak boosters, it wasn't guaranteed that it would be easy to win, sometimes I spent several boosters within the level like candy ufo, but if I wanted to win easily I had to enter the level with the pre-initial boosters + win streak.

It's not like that lately, I just need to enter the level with a win streak and that's it. And as a result, booster costs have been much lower.

The other thing I noticed was that the game tips are a little better. Before I ignored them but not now. 

Well, that's what I've noticed lately in my game. 

I just hope King isn't doing this with the intention of launching an event like All Stars. 

• Pyrolight
    Options

If I had to guess they are testing (starting with new season) various difficulties to see where the best, retention vs gold spending vs playtime vs this/that is. Depending when the end of fiscal is, the bean counters are paying a lot of attention.

Also what is All Stars? Seen it mentioned here and there but no clue to what it is.

• christinewupp
    Options

All Stars was an event run last spring @Pyrolight in which a whopping big cash prize and a trip to London was offered! It brought all the hackers and cheaters out in huge numbers. King made a lot of money duping poor innocents into spending with their cash (some spent hundreds of dollars) thinking they had a chance of winning by some very questionable methods. All the hackers and cheaters who won the final leaderboards were disqualified, but that was little consolation to the honest players who had spent their life savings trying to keep up with them !

Like @SigmaMMX I too have a sneaking suspicion that all of the events they have been running lately, and the changes King have made to the game in the past few months are kind of leading up to another cash prize event. I think they may be testing the field.

• Pyrolight
    edited January 21
    Options

/facepalm

The game data barely requires hacking to alter it as it is just a bunch of JSON.

Doing that kind of event is... hilarious, cruel and foolish all at once. I am actually kinda impressed

• christinewupp
    Options

I forgot to mention that there were some players who were trying to sue King after the event for deception or fraud or something like that, because they could not accept that there were others better at cheating the algorithms than they themselves were..... Obviously King won't want a repeat of that. But memory is short of course, and most of the Unhappy have left the community, plus all those posts from the spring have since been deleted.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?