Farm is celebrating 10 years! 👩‍🌾🧑‍🌾
🎉🚜 Get all the info HERE

***OFF TOPIC*** what are your offline hobbies?

Lady_Choo
Lady_Choo Posts: 24,270 Pet Rescue Moderator
So we are all here because we have the games as a common interest. What do you do in your spare time offline?

When not playing Farm Heroes I like terrifying my children and playing on my playstation 4. Apparently I am too stressful to watch *looks innocent*  and mostly reading although that has to wait mostly until bedtime. I always have been a bookworm and best childhood memories were going into a bookshop and buying a book. If I have the time and money I also like creating cards instead of buying them.  Do you have any exciting hobbies that are weird, wonderful or just quieter like mine?

Comments

• PummyRaj
    PummyRaj Posts: 32,398 Candy Moderator
    Hello @Chicken_Slayer

Looks like I am the first one to comment :)

OK, when I am not online playing games, my other activities are -- Volunteering, watching "Hallmark" movies, writing emails to my friends, and family members who are in India (you might have seen my posts, I cannot finish in 2 lines :p).  I love cooking... so I keep practicing new dishes to surprise my daughter  =)=) And she & I play "Scrabble" and "Carram Board" (not sure what it is called in other places) which are the only games I play off-line.

Most of all, I attend Vedanta discourses / classes several times in a week.  I keep practicing what I learnt by reading my Spiritual / Philosophy books. 

Here is the picture of the game "Carrom Board"

• Lady_Choo
    And you still have time for games :O What kind of volunteering do you do? That game looks interesting, is it complicated? 
  • PummyRaj
     :)  :) My classes are in the evenings from Tuesday to Friday, so I am free in day time  =)

With regards to Volunteering -- not much!  I use to help out in Elementary school where my daughter studied.  When I went there once, I noticed that they need lot of help with copying, helping the kids who have a little tough time with Math & Spelling and especially with Crafts -- every month, the Teachers have to do something or other & they need lot of help with that.  So, I used to do those.  Now, they have lot of parents whose kids are in the school, are coming to help out.  So, I took a break from that.

Now, I help out in Indian Community Forum called "Chinmaya Mission" (http://www.chinmayamission.com).  That's where I attend classes to.  I go there and help out whenever, wherever & whatever needed.  Other than that, on Thursdays, I go along with my 4 other friends for clean-up and decoration.  Also, on Sundays, I teach 3rd graders an Indian Scripture explaining the values & meaning behind it for about 2 hours.

The game "Carrom Board" is not at all complicated.  When we buy, we get 15 White Coins, 15 Black Coins, 1 Red coin along with a Striker (the big one on the board).  Only 12 (of each) coins are used, the rest are extras  B)

We play 2 varieties.  For one variety, I am attaching a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFQvw79wQHU
    The other variety -- You just stack up 12 Whites & 12 Blacks in 2 piles with Red on top & strike them & throw them in to the "holes" of the board.  Who collects more coins, gets more points -- White 10 points, Black - 5 points & Red - 25 points.  Could not find a video for this!       
  • Lady_Choo
    I am going to have a look at that @Pummy_Raj it looks interesting! You did the same sort of thing as I do now then :) I used to volunteer more in school, then I started working lunchtimes and between school runs the day goes so fast. We have parent helpers too, but they tend to drift away once their child moves up through school. Its rewarding when you know you make a difference :)

• PummyRaj
    Exactly @Chicken_Slayer :)  I liked that fact of "making a difference"... That's why I stayed there for 5 years till my daughter entered into High School.  But, I noticed that the parent helpers were being a bit hesitant when I was there.  Hence, took a break.  The Teachers I helped have my phone number, I have asked them to call me if they need any help with  =) 

I too worked as Noon Monitor for 2 years, as there is nothing to do in the Lunch hour.  But, did not like it much, hence stopped that!
  • mysticalmysty
    mysticalmysty Posts: 30,398 Crushing Legend
    Hi @Chicken_Slayer During summer time ( which I can’t hardly wait 😏 ) I like to spend most of time going to the beach, and I usually picking up and collecting some seashells and glass stones along he shore and create something with it. @Pummy_Raj I grew up playing carram board 😀, seeing you posted on here, really bring me back to childhood memories, thank you for that 😊. I grew up in Indonesia and they called that game Karambol. 
  • Lady_Choo
    @mysticalmysty oh that sounds lovely, do you live near the beach? We have a 3 hour ride by train to our nearest one but we are going at Easter. That's an awesome idea, I think we will have to bring back some shells and maybe make something with them. My little one loves doing things like that :D 
  • Lady_Choo
    I love working lunchtimes @Pummy_Raj but mostly because I am staff now and have a badge heehee. It goes really quick as I am in the lunch hall, then mostly outside after they have all finished and some of them are really sweet :) 
  • mysticalmysty
    mysticalmysty Posts: 30,398 Crushing Legend
    edited February 2019
    Hi @Chicken_Slayer about an hour by train, there’s another closer but always too crowded
  • Lady_Choo
    Hi @Chicken_Slayer about an hour by train, there’s another closer but always too crowded
    Its better to travel then! :) 

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?