🎁 Win prizes and badges! Find out how HERE!

Let's celebrate World Compliment Day!

_Elsa_
_Elsa_ Posts: 36,637 Sweet Legend
edited February 2020 in Off-Topic

Sunday, 1 March 2020 is World Compliment Day

It is a global initiative to create the "Most Positive Day in the World".

What makes World Compliment Day ‘better’ than events like Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day or Secretaries’ Day, is that there’s no commercial connotation – the only gifts you’re meant to give on this day are compliments, and they’re free.

World Compliment Day is billed as the most positive day in the world. It’s hard to argue, what with all those compliments being passed around. There is an art to it, though. A true compliment must be genuine, or the receiver will see through it. As importantly, the receiver must accept the compliment with a heartfelt “Thank you!”. It’s no good being self-effacing; you’ll wring all the positivity out of the situation, making for a dull Compliment Day. You can read more here.

According to William James, an American psychologist

“The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated.”

It is this basic human need for recognition and appreciation that is the principle motivation behind Compliment Day. All that is asked of you is to identify something positive about every person you interact with on this day and compliment them on it – simple as that. You can read the rest of the article here. 

History of World Compliment Day

This creative day was originated by Hans Poortvliet, a recognition professional in the Netherlands. He started the initiative in the Netherlands and with the success of it, wondered if making it worldwide instead of national if there be “The Most Positive Day in The World”. These are lofty goals, but Mr. Poortvliet feels that if every person took the time to sincerely offer a compliment to three people in their life that we would be that closer to the goal. You can read more here

How to celebrate World Compliment Day

Choose one or more community members and offer them a compliment. Please make sure that what you are saying is sincere and heartfelt. Just let someone know that they have done a good job at whatever. You can also offer them a deeper compliment by telling them what an impact he/she has made in your life. 

Comments

• _Elsa_

Let’s continue on this thread. Today is the “I want you to be happy day”.

Even though happiness is a universal emotion, it can mean different things to different people. In today's busy world, it is easy to forget this and take on a more self-centric view of happiness. I Want You to be Happy Day inspires people set aside their definition of happiness and to find out what makes their loved ones happy and do those things for them.

How to Celebrate?

Make someone’s day special. Compliment them or just do something special to make them happy.

Tell your loved ones how much they mean to you and that you will do everything to ensure that they are happy.

Did You Know

…that many believe that the phrase "happy as a clam" originates from the fact that open clams give an impression of a smiling clam? Other sources, however, suggest that the fuller version of the phrase - happy as a clam at high water - explains why a clam may be happy. At high water, clams tend to have no predators including humans.

All of this came from here.

• paul5473
    paul5473 Posts: 469 Level 4

Love this thread @Elsa

p.s. you rock!

• _Elsa_

Thanks @paul5473! I am going to do a Google search in a bit to see what else I can post. I love learning these new facts.

• sakura
    sakura Posts: 165 Level 3

@Elsa i really enjoy your works of writing because your love and sincerity really resonate in your posts. your stories and community projects are always very thoughtful. they mean a lot to me because it's so nice seeing positivity in what can sometimes be a cruel world. thank you for always sharing. ❤️

this compliment is a little late, but nonetheless i wanted you to know that you're appreciated. 🌷

• sakura
    sakura Posts: 165 Level 3

@paul5473 what an honor it is to work with you as a bubble witch 3 expert! obviously you're very skilled in the game too, but you are very approachable and very helpful. sometimes i go to reply to a discussion post and see that you've beaten me to it. it's always a delight to see your posts. i hope you have a great day. 😀💫🌈

• _Elsa_

Thank you @sakura for the compliment!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?