🏆 Claim your level milestone badges:
1000 // 2000 // 3000 // 4000 // 5000 // 6000 // 7000
👯‍♀️Find your Team HERE!

Racist skins

Options
rupisaurio
rupisaurio Posts: 23 Level 2

Hi!

I hope there's a way I can word this without it becoming an issue. My apologies if it comes out as rude.

I've been playing Candy Crush Friends for about a year, I'm near level 800 right now. I always look forward to new skins.

It was a let down that the newest one (in my game, I mean, it was unlocked in level 760) is Dach as a police officer. I think that in the general context of the Black Lives Matter movement it is quite hard to separate what has traditionally been seen as a "regular city job" from racism and unjust death of people from oppressed groups. I am aware that the game is way past the level where this skin appears, but I was wondering if you guys could have this skin deleted or at least changed into a fire-dog or any other thing that communicates nicer values.

So, I kept playing while every new sticker for that skin made me doubt more and more if I'd stick around to complete it... and the Thanksgiving event came up. I finished the event and found that Tiffy's turkey custom is based around stereotyped native American clothing. I've read several articles online about why that is racist.

I know it's not really important that I don't want to play the game anymore in this context, so the aim of this message isn't to communicat that. Thinking on a broader frame, I wanted to let you know that this issue is probably affecting many other people. Is racism something you want us to connect to the game? Is it desirable that we have these mixed feelings while playing? I've seen the new disability inclusive additions you've made to the game, so my first interpretation is that it's not, that they were both humble mistakes and you guys will be glad to have them pointed out so you can amend them to fit your values of making Candy Crush Friends friendly for everyone.

I hope this can be read as a constructive message. I really like the game and all my interactions with people from this community were wonderful.

Comments

• BlueberryCupcake
    BlueberryCupcake Posts: 856 Level 4
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hello @rupisaurio

I don’t see why the Dachs’ police costume is racist...

Some police aren’t bad, but some of them aren’t good.

If you don’t like costume, then don’t use it.

But on the positive note, a fireman costume might be a good costume for Dachs.

@QueenMia and @Elsa, can you close this post? I feel like this goes against the house rule...

• Tasty_Cake
    Tasty_Cake Posts: 2,592 Level 4
    Options

I Agree @BlueberryCupcake @els

@Elsa,@mysticalmysty Please Close This Discussion It's To Much For Me😑😑

• Pitty_Kitty
    Pitty_Kitty Posts: 13,007 Soda Moderator
    edited December 2020
    Options

It is a discussion that raises valid points in a polite manner though. I had some mixed thoughts about Tiffi's Turkey costume myself.

The topic is about community and social awareness and not politics and religion. I don't think it incites complaints or campaigns either but I might be wrong, I don't have the final say. 😅 either way I don't believe we should simply brush this off.

maybe you should talk with @QueenMia , @rupisaurio 🙂

Thank you for posting :)

• Spinnifix
    Spinnifix Posts: 24,792 Sweet Legend
    Options

Hello everyone!

I've read it and understood. Only I don't understand what is supposed to be racist about it? Because they are completely normal jobs. And the players want the costumes. It's just costumes.

I'll mark a few superstars what they think of it.

@Glenn1972 @kiara_wael @bearwithme @KingChewy @Elsa @Sukanta_Biswas @Sofia1992

• QueenMia
    QueenMia Posts: 12,979 Community Manager
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hi all 👋

As we say at King, all great Saga needs all sorts of heroes and we all strongly live by those standards. We support diversity and inclusion every day in everything we do. We are taking those matters really seriously.

This is about opinion and we can only encourage our players to share how they feel. There is nothing against our House Rules and we won't close this conversation.

Even though we cannot guarantee anything, I am passing this to our game studio. Thank you very much for sharing your feelings with us 🍒

• bearwithme
    bearwithme Posts: 15,999 Candy Moderator
    Options

I appreciate this forum and the opportunity it provides for players from all over the world to share ideas and opinions. I respect your point of view @rupisaurio and thank you for sharing it.

I do not share the same view of these two costumes but I am glad you shared it with us, allowing other players to express their thoughts and views also.

As stated above - as in any profession there can be both good and bad examples and it is tragic what has happened in America with the police and minorities (primarily black people), however law enforcement does serve an important role in society and remember there are players from all over the world not just in the US so I don’t feel there is anything racist about the police outfit for Dachs.

As far as the Turkey costume is concerned, it is true that America does have a terrible history concerning how Native Americans were treated in the past and recently has stopped using Indians or other names pertaining to Native Americans as names for sports teams etc. But I don't feel that should affect Thanksgiving itself.

As an annual celebration of the harvest and its bounty, Thanksgiving falls under a category of festivals that spans cultures, continents and millennia. In ancient times, the Egyptians, Greeks and Romans feasted and paid tribute to their gods after the fall harvest. Thanksgiving also bears a resemblance to the ancient Jewish harvest festival of Sukkot. Finally, historians have noted that Native Americans had a rich tradition of commemorating the fall harvest with feasting and merrymaking long before Europeans set foot on their shores.

So when I celebrate Thanksgiving with a traditional harvest feast that includes eating turkey - it has nothing to do with disrespecting Native Americans, but instead is a time of celebration with friends and family to give thanks for what we have and to share with others not as fortunate as ourselves, so I see nothing wrong with the Tiffi Turkey costume and think it is a very cute and clever idea.

Thank you once again for sharing your opinions and creating this discussion.

• _Elsa_
    _Elsa_ Posts: 36,695 Sweet Legend
    Options

Hi @rupisaurio do you play Fortnite? When I read your comments and the use of "skins" that's the first thing that came to my mind. My grandson plays that game and he always talks to me about the skins that he gets for the game.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?