1000 // 2000 // 3000 // 4000 // 5000 // 6000 // 7000
👯‍♀️Find your Team HERE!

Did you know?

Options

Comments

• Spinnifix
    Spinnifix Posts: 24,747 Sweet Legend
    Options

About chewing gum: I used to like to chew. But not now, because I would have wrung out my jaw.

in English the caption: That's why you should never swallow gum!
  • Spinnifix
    Options
    Hello @Sofia1992 ! Extra for you. To your saying candy !!!

Caption in English: He gave her a Libra for Christmas. Him - a ruler. ☺♥

• _Elsa_
    _Elsa_ Posts: 36,685 Sweet Legend
    Options

@Spinnifix we also have Friday the 13th here too. I don't know how many people still believe in it. I guess if nothing ever happened to a person then they might not believe it. I'm going to check on Google about this and maybe I'll create a new message about it.

• Spinnifix
    Options

@Elsa

Elsa! I think you had already done it under "Black Friday".

If this goes further with the downsizing, then everything is invisible !!!
  • _Elsa_
    Options

When did I write about Black Friday? This game community will get more responses than the others because the players here are much more active. But the newbies that come to the community might really enjoy some of these facts.

• Spinnifix
    Options
    Hello @Elsa ! Didn't you make a list for yourself, what you put in here? Because I think it was black Friday last year. Then why would I know?
  • _Elsa_
    Options

I have done so much in the last year that I can't remember. I might have done it and I usually keep copies so maybe I should go back to see what I have posted. I could always just post a link to that here.

• Crimson_Dawn
    Crimson_Dawn Posts: 2,741 Level 5
    Options

Thanks for tagging me, @Sofia1992!

@Elsa, you never cease to amaze me! I didn’t know half those facts, and I actually found the bees and the pouring water oddly fascinating. It just makes you wonder who sits around and watched bees sting each other.😂

• _Elsa_
    Options

Are you superstitious? Do you avoid going under ladders? Do you throw salt over your shoulder? Do you believe that if you break a mirror you will have 7 years of bad luck? What about Friday 13? 

Very little is known about the origins of the day's notoriety. Some historians believe that the superstitions surrounding it arose in the late 19th century. The first documented mention of the day can be found in a biography of Italian composer Gioachino Rossini, who died on a Friday 13th. A 1907 book, Friday the Thirteenth, by American businessman Thomas Lawson, may have further perpetuated the superstition. Others believe that the myth has Biblical origins. Jesus was crucified on a Friday, and there were 13 guests at the Last Supper the night before his crucifixion. Another account suggests that the day has been associated with misfortune since 1307 when on a Friday the 13th, the French king gave the orders to arrest hundreds of Knights Templar.

Yet, the Fear is Very Real... The fear of Friday the 13th is also called friggatriskaidekaphobia or paraskevidekatriaphobia. Experts say that friggatriskaidekaphobia affects millions of people and estimate that businesses, especially airlines, suffer from severe losses on Friday the 13th.

Triskaidekaphobia, or the fear of the number 13, is even more widespread. So much so that many high-rise buildings, hotels, and hospitals skip the 13th floor and many airports do not have gates numbered 13. In many parts of the world, having 13 people at the dinner table is considered bad luck.

Alfred Hitchcock was born on the 13th. The master of suspense was born on August 13, 1899 – so Friday, August 13, 1999 would have been his 100th birthday. He made his directorial debut in 1922 with a movie called Number 13. Unfortunately, the film was doomed from the start and never got off the ground due to financial troubles. Other celebrities and well-known personalities born on a Friday the 13th include actors Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen; novelist and playwright, Samuel Beckett; and former President of Cuba, Fidel Castro. The Day Inspired One of the Highest Grossing Film Series

The commercially successful Friday the 13th enterprise includes 12 horror movies, a television series, and several books that focus on curses and superstitions. Even though the films and the television series consistently received negative reviews from critics, they have a huge following. The mask worn by the key character in the films, Jason Voorhees, is one of the most known images in popular culture.

You can read more info here

Taylor Swift thinks of 13 as her lucky number and has some connections with Friday the 13th: "I was born on the 13th. I turned 13 on Friday the 13th. My first album went gold in 13 weeks. My first #1 song had a 13-second intro," she told MTV in 2009.

Stephen King’s triskaidekaphobia – The number 13 and Friday the 13th in particular, scares even the horror master himself. He wrote an article about it for the New York Times in 1984 and you can read it here.

Mark Twain was allegedly once invited to be the 13th guest at a dinner party. As the story goes, he went to the dinner despite a superstitious friend's warning. Twain reportedly said, "It was bad luck. They only had food for 12."

In his No. 1 hit song "Superstition," Stevie Wonder sings: "Thirteen-month-old baby, broke the lookin' glass. Seven years of bad luck, good things in your past. When you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way."

In some Spanish-speaking countries, Tuesday (Martes) the 13th is considered bad luck. Tuesday is feared because it is the day of the week associated with the Roman god of war, Mars. There is a cautionary saying: "On Tuesdays, don't get married, don't take a trip and don't leave your home."

Founded in 1882 by Capt. William Fowler, The Thirteen Club of New York was a group of skeptics who defied superstitions by hosting dinner parties on Friday the 13th. At the first dinner, the 13 members performed such unlucky feats as passing under a ladder. They dined on 13 courses, the first by the light of 13 candles. The devil-may-care group tipped over salt containers on the table but were forbidden from tossing any of the spilled granules over their shoulders. The small club evolved into a national organization that boasted such members Grover Cleveland and Theodore Roosevelt, according to the New York Historical Society.

You can read more here.

In some countries, Tuesday the 13th is the unlucky day, not Friday the 13th.  In Spain and Spanish speaking countries, it's Tuesday the 13th that gets people wound up. Martes, Tuesday in Spanish, comes from the Roman god of war, Mars, forever tying the day to violence, death and bloodshed. In conjunction, Constantinople supposedly fell on a Tuesday during the Fourth Crusade. And then Ottoman Turks supposedly claimed the city on a Tuesday more than 200 years later.

Please follow this link to read more about superstitions: 13 Superstitions From Around the World

• Spinnifix
    Options

Hello @Elsa

How about June 1st, 2020 International Children's Day? We in the GDR celebrated it. Children's parties were held and the children were given a small something. Today the gift giving is exaggerated and since we are a Germany everything has decreased a lot. Everything was more human in the GDR. Too bad it's like that now.

On June 12th is teachers day. Now don't know if he's international.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?