Beat the Buffet

Options

Comments

• christinewupp
    christinewupp Posts: 6,890 Level 5
    Options

Beat the Buffet is back in two of my games. This time collecting striped candies. I find it an odd event. Collect as many striped candies as you can in one hour, but only new levels count. It's a fake leaderboard with five players. I say fake because unlike real leaderboard events you can't click on the other players and their scores seem to match my score in a strange and unreal way. One game I was playing for the full hour and scored over 1000 stripes to win, though for some reason my final score was lower. The other I gave up after realising old levels did not count. Here after "calculating the results" the event showed a winning score of only 79 striped candies.

• Rhonda_L
    Rhonda_L Posts: 542 Level 3
    Options

@christinewupp I received this event for the first time yesterday. Once I realized that playing old levels didn't count, I didn't even want to play new levels. Especially seeing the top of the list had 79 striped candies after 5 minutes in! WTH?!?! Did it count 30x on new levels? Just wondering.

• christinewupp
    Options

@Rhonda_L are you saying that in YOUR game you essentially got the same board that I got after one hour, with the top player being on 79??? (What a coincidence, a bit like when that same random player with an identical top score showed up on two leaderboards posted in this community for the collect blue buffet ealier in this thread) That would suggest that they give this board out to anyone who tries to play an old level in this event. It's what I did on my iPhone: I tried an old level to get into the leaderboard to see if it would work, and then I put it aside for the entire hour, after which 79 striped was the winning score. That is the stupidity of this event I was trying to point out. In my other game I was crushing like mad I had to score many hundreds of stripes to win, but when I didn't bother to play at all in game no.2 I would apparently have won with a score of 80! (but would I???.....)

No, there was no multiplier. I got over a thousand stripes just by being lucky enough to have lots of levels with stripe candy dispensers in the levels I happened to be playing.

This is the reward I got for winning:

As you may have noticed I was playing in landscape mode on my iPad here. Which is exactly why I was bothering with this event. When I have the "back to landscape" glitch on my iPad playing is so much more enjoyable I like to take advantage of it a play a lot more.

• christinewupp
    edited March 12
    Options

So the event reappeared and I am ready to run a test on how to beat it. My theory is: If you get into it by playing an old level which will score 0 you might get an easier board. Here I go:

I enter the event and then wait for players to bet allocated to my game. I come back to the event with 20 minutes left to see who they have placed into my group of 5.

I suspect that four of these are real players and one is a decoy put in by King (like they do in the weekly race), probably a recorded player they have in their database. On the other hand, it is quite possible that all four players are recorded decoys like in the episode race. I leave it a bit longer thinking that I can easily beat 151 in ten minutes, but then oh so many pop-ups this morning I actually have to play quite fast to win this. Finally with just under five minutes left I can breathe as I think I've won it now.

And I have, none of the other score go up in the last five minutes.

This is not a real time event, so it can be beaten quite easily. Take advantage of it while you can! I had to play about three new levels good for stripes to beat the 165 score to win a UFO, two lollipops and a switch plus colour bomb. It's nice if you are playing new level anyway. I like the fact that you can choose when to play this event, which is key to winning it. In fact, I like this one altogether, but I can't see King rolling it out to every player.

• Rhonda_L
    Options

@christinewupp Very interesting, indeed. It came up again for me yesterday. Didn't bother with it then. Too bad it didn't show up today as I decided to play new levels! Oh well, my timing has always been a bit off! LOL

And, yes, quite the coincidence we both had the same dude with 79 stripes within 5 minutes! Don't remember his name. To me, everything about this game is...🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔 anymore! LOL

Have a great evening!

• RiceRiceRice
    RiceRiceRice Posts: 6 Level 2
    Options

Hi, anyone can clarify "match striped candies " ?? How ? I hit candies, but no reward. Any skill ???

• christinewupp
    edited March 15
    Options

This is a contest to play new levels with striped candies in them. So basically it is like the other collection events, just that instead of orange or blue candies for this event striped candies count. Your count will go up after each level you play, depending on how many striped candies were on your board. Beware that only new levels count for this.

• christinewupp
    Options

I played this event again today, this time crushing non stop for the entire hour. Like last time I used this method the winning score to beat was around 470. Also I noted that the top player overtook me at the beginning, although I was playing as swiftly as I can, exactly like the decoys sometimes do in the episode race, only to then stall at the end. In fact ALL of the other players stopped increasing their score in the last 12 minutes. It's very much like the episode race, a single player race just you against the score the game sets out for you to beat.

I wouldn't recommend rolling this event out to everyone, people will get confused by it because it looks too much like a leaderboard event, which it sure isn't. But then, no one at King seems to be asking for our feedback for these new events any more. It looks to me that they can't even be bothered to pretend to care about player feedback, which is pretty much like admitting that the only feedback King care about is what makes the most money for them.

• Rhonda_L
    edited March 15
    Options

@christinewupp Actually, the first time Buffet came up in my game, I was able to play old levels and it counted. However, of course, didn't receive the x30 you get when playing new levels. Came up again this morning. I ignored it. Not worth the frustration! 😸

Yay for you winning! Have a great evening!

• Alienscar
    Alienscar Posts: 14,828 Legend
    Options

Hmm, can Grits really be that common a name?

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?