Candy Crush Saga Becomes Less and Less Fun with Each Change

Options

Comments

• TitanCrusher
    TitanCrusher Posts: 365 Level 3
    Options

The Summer events have been a lot of fun.

• eagleholly1
    eagleholly1 Posts: 55 Level 3
    Options

Your frequent requests for pardon--in what I would have liked to have seen as a conversation--are disingenuous. Congratulations on your many travels around the sun--as I approach 76 I am grateful for each one.

It seems to me that we may fundamentally disagree on how King is running its games--and it is their game, as you say over and over again. Your statement that "We enjoy challenges, as long as they are not impossible levels by design fault" is at the heart of the issue for me. The challenges show every sign of "impossible by design." If, for example you are spinning the wheel for the bonuses, the odds are against every single spin as bringing up a color bomb. It is also not an accident that when we can collect a bonus it is now for a matter of 15 minutes rather than a bonus that we can accumulate--as was the case in past years.

Computer games are essentially a function of manipulable design. And in this game, as you have mentioned, our options are to pay or not. But many of us who opt not to pay observe that in order to pass a level now, we must play over and over and over again--to the point that it is outside the realm of probability. Other comments by other players, talking about having to play 200 or more times before they can pass a level are illustrating a phenomenon outside the realm of possibility. It's by design.

I can't make statements about the intents of other players, but my guess...just a guess...is that we are not asking King to dumb things down or "make it simple"--as you suggested. Checkers and Chess and Parcheesi and many of the world's great games have rules you can count on. Configuration of the board or the strategy of the move or the roll of the dice can make the difference in the play and outcome of the game. And these things are all in the realm of laws of probability.

I appreciated your comment about the Singapore education system! You have perfectly summarized the system--each child must complete the curriculum and pass the prescribed examinations to progress to next level--and that is the case here as well. And yes, as you said, as in CC, each one must play within the framework provided (maybe we could say that is the corollary to the curriculum, right?) and pass the level. But the curricula of schools all around the globe do not arbitrarily fluctuate. They are carefully designed, have increasing levels of difficulty to correspond to human development, etc. The material is not manipulated to favor any group over another.

These sorts of points that we are making here are good feedback for King games to consider. I don't know whether you have seen comments of other players that resemble mine, but there are people all over the world who are dropping the game because the passability factor is so manipulated.

Thanks for the opportunity to chat with you. I have a dear friend here who is from Singapore. Her descriptions of the country and character of your people and cultural norms make me want to visit.

All the best.

• christinewupp
    christinewupp Posts: 6,088 Level 5
    Options

Hi there. I have just read you discussion with Monica. If you want to enjoy Candy Crush and be rewarded and challenged and have levels that can be passed, then play from the beginning. What a lot of players don't get in this forum is that the game has only changed to this nightmare for those of us who have played for years and are in the upper levels. The game IS fun for new players. It's nothing to do with age. It's something to do with how long you have been playing this game. And yes, if you have played for eight or ten years and never spend money on the game, then King owe you nothing. Nothing at all. They are a business and have the right to kick players out of the game who pay nothing. I keep going because I find ways around the algorithms, it's fun to beat them at their own game so to speak. But if the fun has gone out of the game for whatever reason, then just don't play it any more. You really can't demand that King make the game fun if you are not a paying customer. It makes no sense.

• Adav
    Adav Posts: 662 Level 3
    edited August 2023
    Options

New updates are making the game not fun. First it was the 20 lives per day, then the new chocolate box idea. It makes it mostly impossible to win 6 levels in a day nevermind 4 hard levels. And now they changed the screen layout??? There is a stupid reason I don't play on my mobile...... I cannot comfortably see small tiles. Now my computer screen has a "mobile" screen?? WHY??? I suppose this thread will also come with a few excuses and nothing more will come of it, like every other moan here. King should not advertise this as a "free" game, because as soon as you are comfortable playing and wanting to do the challenges, something changes and you can mostly win if you either win gold/boosters (which is now almost impossible) or buy them. Some of us cannot buy, so there goes another past time down the drain.

• MonicaYellow
    MonicaYellow Posts: 693 Level 3
    Options

Great to connect to another senior here, good that I didn't say I'm 71 yrs old, still 5 yrs short of yours..

My excessive use of the phrase "pardon me" was for pun and fun, since pardon me, according to the Cambridge Dictionary, can be used in situations other than to to say sorry - e.g. pardon me, to get attention (pardon me, does choc box have real chocs?); pardon me, to show respect before disagreeing with someone (pardon me, but I think you've got that wrong).

Back to the initial topic of this thread - recent changes in Choc Box that followed the trend of replacing "real" boosters and gold bars , coupled with removing options to choose orders to fulfill. I don't like these changes, and have also posted my comments on another thread, calling it Joker Box - where you have to use 4 UFOs for one order to earn a 5 min use of UFO on completion of 4 orders. Will King take our feedback? I don't know, but I do not want to keep repeating my feedback here, to the annoyance of other players, and definitely not to over-stress myself with something I can't control- King's direction.

When the game is no longer fun, take a break.

• Rhonda_L
    Rhonda_L Posts: 533 Level 3
    Options

In reading this thread, every post is very well said @MonicaYellow

@eagleholly1 if you so hate the game, just quit. King wants you to play to pass. It's that simple. Age has nothing to do with that.

I'm 62, whoopity do. I've been playing for years and have been learning to go with the flow. It is what it is.

Legal action, really? It's a dang free game! Like I said, quit if you don't like it. It's as easy as pushing a button to uninstall.

Have a good day.

• TitanCrusher
    Options

Someone threatened with legal action?

• Rhonda_L
    Rhonda_L Posts: 533 Level 3
    Options

Yeah, @eagleholly1 wants to. Because it's not fair that King doesn't play nice to seniors. That's what I got from her posts.

@MonicaYellow put her in her place.

I just told her to quit if she hated the game so much.

• TitanCrusher
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?