🏆 Claim your level milestone badges:
1000 // 2000 // 3000 // 4000 // 5000 // 6000 // 7000
👯‍♀️Find your Team HERE!

What about Easter baskets?

Options
_Elsa_
_Elsa_ Posts: 36,695 Sweet Legend
edited April 2020 in Candy Friends Stories

“Elsa, I just thought of something else!” Tiffi says. “Did you read anything about why parents give Easter baskets to their children? My father does a dynamite business selling these baskets in his candy store. He can never get enough. But I don’t think he ever read anything about why it’s done.”

Elsa pulled out a sheet of paper and together they looked it over.

“Using baskets in the spring was associated with Eostre, the Germanic fertility goddess, who also blessed the harvest. As an offering, people would carry baskets of young seedlings as an offering to her. If the seedlings pleased her, she would ensure that the harvest was a successful one. 

Eostre would carry a basket filled with eggs to encourage fertility. Since seedlings and eggs are associated with new life, the baskets came to symbolize new life as well. Later on, as more people embraced Christianity, they would hold on to their old customs. That’s the main reason why we still give baskets filled with goodies during this holiday. “ You can read more about the baskets here.  

Let's continue with the next part of our story – Elsa asks Tiffi to co-author the story

Start at the beginning here - Tiffi thinks about Easter

This discussion has been closed.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?