Travel - Share some pics and stories

Comments

• mercerik
    mercerik Posts: 3,617 Legend
    Memories Of My Trip To Victoria Peak, Hongkong

A Little Bit Of Hongkong History

Hong Kong as we know it today was born when China’s Qing dynasty government
    was defeated in the First Opium War in 1842 
    when it ceded Hong Kong Island to Britain.
     Within 60 years, Kowloon, the New Territories and 235 Outlying Islands were also leased
    to Britain. 
    Under the principle of 'One Country, Two Systems', Hong Kong became a
    Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China on July 1, 1997. 

Victoria Peak is a hill on the western half of Hongkong Island.
    It is also known as Mount Austin
    , and locally as The Peak.

I had a wonderful time there and would like to come back and visit in the future. 

• firebombmarkus
    firebombmarkus Posts: 13,110 Sweet Legend
    @mercerik It might depend on area they are raised in but I know for sure they drink a lot of hot water, from small ones to the old ones. I had a lot of conversations on that topic with them as it was very unusual to me. Nice pictures, by the way. I hope I will visit Hong Kong sometimes 😊
  • mercerik
    @firebombmarkus

Nǐ hǎo, fbm!

I was just curious, what part of China did you visit? I might take a small trip there when I visit Hongkong in the future.

• firebombmarkus
    @mercerik It was Hebei province near Beijing. I have lived there for a year. Of course, I have visited other parts but I spent my year there mostly.
  • Ashraf
    Ashraf Posts: 8,495 Sweet Legend
    @mercerik It was Hebei province near Beijing. I have lived there for a year. Of course, I have visited other parts but I spent my year there mostly.
    💜💖💕💞
  • mercerik
    @firebombmarkus

Beijing is one of the places in China that I would like to visit when I go back to Hongkong. 

I've never lived in any other countries aside from the Philippines and the United States. I've been to Cancun and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico but that was work related. There was no problem there because I can speak a little bit of Spanish. I would probably be homesick if I can't communicate with anyone because of the language barriers.
  • firebombmarkus
    @mercerik I am not that impressed with Beijing, not quite a fan of huge cities. It is a challenge indeed. In small towns, you can't even speak English with anyone except for "hello", "hi" etc. Hence, the best option is a translator.
  • mercerik
    edited May 2019
    @mercerik I am not that impressed with Beijing, not quite a fan of huge cities. It is a challenge indeed. In small towns, you can't even speak English with anyone except for "hello", "hi" etc. Hence, the best option is a translator.
    @firebombmarkus

I learned a little bit of Chinese working for 12 years with a Chinese boss like xièxiè for thank you or duō xiè for thanks a lot, diànhuà for telephone and other basic conversation words. I know how to count in Chinese because I play the real Ancient Mahjong as shown in the Screen Shot with #5, #6 & #7 characters, #4 & #8 sticks or bamboos. It is played with total of 4 players on the Mahjong Table with the actual tiles. I have a set here at home although I have no one to play with. Did you learn this game when you were there?

• flew66
    flew66 Posts: 2,361 Level 5
    Wow! Nice photos guys and gals! I wonder how I missed this thread. Here's a few photos I took from Macau last year. If you're traveling to Hong Kong / China, it is worthwhile to take a side trip to Macau. Macau is the Vegas in the east.
    Also, The House of Water Dance show is amazing!

• firebombmarkus
    Wow! I love this! @flew66 Thanks for sharing 😊

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Hey! Would you like to give us your opinion?